Light bulb for shed

Page 1 of 2
My son reported seeing this on a YouTube video, so I can't vouch for its accuracy.
While bemoaning the lack of light in various African hovels and tar-paper shacks, some residents came up with a novel approach. They cut a hole in the substance laughingly called a roof and inserted a filled, plastic water bottle!
According to my son (who may have been drunk), the result was illumination roughly equivalent to a 40-watt bulb! And, I guess, you could have more than one.
Admittedly not much brightness, but more than a 3" skylight and, of course, it doesn't work at night.
Unless you have a flashlight serving as a replacement for the sun...
Anyway, I thought, if it works, the water-bottle concept is a clever one - a concept that might be an interesting experiment.

I can see it working. The water would transmit the light from the exposed surface.

the

on

than

se,

- a

It was on 60 minutes. Indeed it does work:) but cant work in freezing climates:( the water in the bottle would freeze.
I have seen light tubes at Lowes. They are a pricey version of the water bottle...

in a freezeable environment just add sugar or salt to lower the freeze point. - or hooch
On 5/12/2013 8:12 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Is the illumination equivalent to a 40 watt LED or a 40 watt incandescent?
On 5/12/2013 9:04 AM, Joe wrote:

Someone always has to piss on the parade. :)
The hole in the roof would be my concern.
John
Would that be a LED hole or incandescant hole? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

incandescent?
Someone always has to piss on the parade. :)
The hole in the roof would be my concern.
John

Was it a LED bottle or incandescent hole
On Sun, 12 May 2013 10:48:12 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

How about an Acrylic Sun Spreader Hole????
Would you need a roofing permit or a plumbing permit...or both?
And how would the HOA react?
On 5/12/2013 10:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Environmental impact statement. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Would you need a roofing permit or a plumbing permit...or both?
And how would the HOA react?
On 5/12/2013 10:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The hole is easily sealed - and is GENERALLY cut undersised and flared up with a hammer to be a snug fit to the bottle. You need to remember also that many of these roofs are not particularly water-tight to start with - often made of used/recycled steel or aluminum, os a rough facsimile of same. A small beed of caulking or pitch seals the joints

approx 40 watt 240 volt incandescent bulb - which is less than a 12 volt 40 watt incandescent 04 a 40 watt halogen - or a 40 watt LED.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-build-a-SOLAR-BOTTLE-BULB/
As Paul Harvey said, "Now you know the rest of the story."

There's a long tradition of such things. The idea was used on ships to bring light to below-deck areas from outside via glass prisms. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Group_of_Deck_Prisms.jpg You can still buy such prisms.
Tomsic

It is true. They are used quite extensively in the Philipines and indo-china, and is becoming more common in Africa as well

And just how long do you think that NON-UV protected plastic is going to last?

Probably longer than the rest of the roof. Do you honestly think that is a problem?

How long does a lightbulb last? What do you do when it burns out? What does a water bottle cost compared to a light bulb? and how long does a water bottle last laying in the ditch?
In other words, it is a total non-issue.

Well, plastic of that variety I have had sitting outside for a couple months turns quite brittle. So yes, I would expect it to be a problem.