Liftmaster Garage Door Closer

Call me a worrywart, but every time I open or close my garage doors, I look up and watch with worry the belt retract or un tract. I think - I have two nice cars sitting underneath, what happens if the mechanism breaks? Anyone know if these things have any history of breaking and damaging cars underneath?
Just curious.
Apeman
snipped-for-privacy@planet.edu wrote:

Can't help you with your brand of garage door lifter, but a more likely danger is the breaking of the springs used to equalize the weight of the door. Mine are parallel to the sides of the door and there are cables available that run inside the spring to keep it from falling should one break. They are available at Home Depot and other stores.

You know - you're right. I wasn't even considering the spring potential. I'll take a look to see how they are secured. And do something if they are not.
Thanks
Apeman
Any time you need something to worry about, please post here. We'll be eager and ready to increase your level of anxiety. Oh, what's that behind you? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
You know - you're right. I wasn't even considering the spring potential. I'll take a look to see how they are secured. And do something if they are not.
Thanks
Apeman
snipped-for-privacy@planet.edu wrote:

Don't park you nice cars inside the garage, leave them on the drive way. Oh, then you should worry about hail storm. My garage door never damaged cars in my life time.

Securing side-mounted springs is about the only thing to do, unless you want to worry about the lag screws holding the opener to the ceiling?????!!!!!!

Never had that set up.

My springs have the usual cable threaded within which would keep the springs from coming down, but I was thinking about the chain mechanism snapping. Oh well, I should stop worrying I guess.
Apeman

LOL Few years back we had a bad storm come through where our cabin is. Neighbor never used garage for vehicles, just to store odds and ends that accumulated over years Drove home in spanking new pickup truck just as storm broke. Parks next to garage, and while sitting in cab enjoying new car smell, micro-cell burst above him with lighting strikes top of pine tree nearby. Wind breaks off tree 30 feet from top, which then lands on garage and rolls onto pickup Cab is crushed, windows are popped, and doors are jammed shut. Took 3 hours for emergency crew to get to him and cut him out of new truck
Garage is now used to park all vehicles ALL the time.. All the junk was used to raise money for others who suffered losses in storm.
On 4/5/2013 5:41 AM, snipped-for-privacy@planet.edu wrote:

My co-worker's husband had his Fancy Toyota truck smashed up from a rotting wooden garage door that was lifting up with a Liftmaster. Door fell apart and the front had about $5000 with of damage or so I'm told.
Does that count? :)
If you are gonna keep using a 50 year old wooden rooten garage door, they wouldn't trust a liftmaster after this story.