lifetime granite sealer

Has anyone heard of a lifetime granite sealer? The ad that I received in the mail reads:

"Granite Shiled, a revolutionary new application, forms a waterproof barrier on the surface, smoothing out the uneven nooks & crevices making the granite impervious to water and stains. Best of all, Granite Shield lasts a lifetime of your granite so you will never have to seal your granite surfaces again!"

Is this stuff for real or is it just snake oil? Has anyone used this stuff before?

Reply to
Snoop Drew

if you're granite is not porous, you don't need anything. it depends upon your particular stone whether you need anything or not.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

How do you know if one's granite is porous or not? I have black granite countertops that's about 4 years old. This guy wants to charge me $5 per square feet.

Reply to
Snoop Drew

you test it.

take a scrap of the same stone. leave a puddle of different things on it for a number of hours. usually, i use water, red wine, cooking oil, and lemon juice. if any of them leave a mark of any kind, it needs sealing.

if it's already installed, then it's harder to do this, as you typically don't have any convenient place to do the tests on unless you have the sink cutout or manufacturing scraps.

if it's black, it probably won't be marked by anything.

you can buy a gallon of sealer for about $35 that should last you at least

10 years if you reseal every 3-4 years.
Reply to
Charles Spitzer

We recently had a granite countertop installed - unfortunately the island slab had a gouge and 2 scratches. I complained to the installer and they have tried to repair these. The surface of their repair is smooth but I can see the impressions below the surface where the repair was made - the area is dipping & dented but covered by sealer. I complained again and they said they will try to repair - but all I can see is the problem growing in size as a larger indentation is made & then covered again by sealer. Can anyone advise what can be done to solve this problem ??? They have told me they can no longer obtain the silver pearl granite they have supplied and are unwilling to repair the whole top surface as they claim this is too labor intensive. I would be grateful for any help.

Reply to
susan

The only way to get it totally flat again is to machine polish it again, this is done by the original supplier not the local assembler and installer. Hand polishing will not be smooth but will undulate all over the surface. If you love the stone, try to get a major discount for the damages and ignore the dips. If you can't stand the dips, shop for more stone at the wholesalers, they get new batches in all the time. We waited for 6 months to get the perfect shade of Uba Tuba granite. Then have them remake the top from the new stone. If you cannot match the type you have installed elsewhere in the kitchen, go for a new top in a contrasting colour, this is all the rage now anyway.

Reply to
EXT