Licensed electrician required?

I know I should call the local permit office to get a definitive answer, but it's almost impossible to get through to them on the phone, and I can't get down to the office until next week, so...
The sunroom company I contracted with did not have a licensed electrician do the wiring and hook-ups for the 3 receptacles and the a/c unit in the room. The regular electrician was 'busy", so a guy in the crew put in the two new circuits and wired the outlets.
This guy is obviously experienced in installing electrical work. I watched everything he did, and I think the work is OK. _But_ we are having other problems with this company and I want all the leverage I can get.
Is this standard practice? Would I have a valid complaint with the permit office?
Thanks, Tony
Obviously only your building department can tell you what they require (though you might check the town's website). Around here some town require a license and some don't. Even those that require it don't require the licensed electrician to do the work.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:38:12 GMT, "Wade Lippman"

Yeah,.. I think I'll just have to take a morning off and run down to the office. All the neighborhood "experts" have given me diiferent opinions :-) , so I better go and the official word
Depends on were you are,In the chicago area the company has a license but electricans are not licensed. Mark H.
On 10 Jul 2003 21:27:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnot (Union 134) wrote:

In most areas, an "apprentice" would be able to work without a liscense under the supervision of a liscense Master Electrician. I don't know how "supervision" gets defined.
Bob

I thought I'd post an update on my sunroom wiring question:
Today, the sunroom company finally - and relunctantly - sent out an electrician to inspect the work the crew guy did. Good thing. There was a 30 amp breaker on a 15 amp circuit. And the duplexes weren't in the proper metal boxes.
The owner had the balls to tell me a few weeks ago that this crew guy was as experienced as any 'real' electrician and that he even had the guy come out and do some electrical work on his own house...mmm, anyone want to take a dip in his jacuzzi?
On 15 Jul 2003, TV-IV wrote:

BWA HA HA HAAA HA! Sounds like the guy who was n last week's installment of "Monster House", a supposed "electrician" who lied on his application for the show, didn't know a damned thing about what he was there to do. Stood there for hours on end pondering how to move a switch from one side of a door to the other, and now we know who he works for in the daytime! <g>
Glad you got it straightened out.
TP