Lic. Plumer Allowed To Do Gas Work In House, Or Lic. 'Gas Fitter" Req. ?

Hello:

Imagine it's probably the same in most states. Live in Mass.

Are Lic plumbers allowed in most towns to install and plumb in a gas stove, and do house gas work, or must you find a Lic. "gas fitter" ?

Lic. gas fitters are pretty scarce around here, apparently.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Our town anyone can do it. Plumbers have to be licenced, but gas is not considered plumbing. (per our building inspector; I didn't ask him to explain it)

Actually it is that firms or partnerships doing plumbing must be licenced. Individuals do not, apparently.

Reply to
toller

At the last month's fire sprinkler licensing class I attended, we were told by the instructer that in North Carolina where I live, that only licensed gas fitters could pipe utility gas. A local gas company here does it for my factory needs. Most times here, they will not hook up a tank for you without checking out the previous installation for leaks and proper installation. The gas companies will not normally sell you parts to fix your gas stuff yourself. There are ways around this, of course.....

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

In my city an Owner/builder can get a permit to do anything. Try calling HVAC companies instead of plumbers.

Reply to
AutoTracer

In Alabama licensed plumbers also do gas work. Our new $1.5m building is being plumbed and gased by the same people. Bob

Reply to
Bob S.

Our town anyone can do it. Plumbers have to be licenced, but gas is not considered plumbing. (per our building inspector; I didn't ask him to explain it)

Actually it is that firms or partnerships doing plumbing must be licenced. Individuals do not, apparently.

Reply to
toller

Licensing is about making sure that they are paying all the taxes and fees that are required.

Reply to
John Hines