LG washing machine WM2016CW replacing moldy door gasket.

I am trying to replace the door gasket for this LG WM2016CW washing machine. A quick parts search turned up this part number, MDS33059401. That's the part number that was ordered from Sears and that's the part number that was on the bag that contained the part when it arrived. The label on the parts bag also said, "MOLD EPDM EPDM GRAY T2.0 TUB Neo PJT." I tried all kinds of ways to get this gasket to sit nicely around the lip of which it is supposed to sit. I applied a little bit of dish soap around the perimeter of the gasket as shown in the video as well but that didn't make it any easier. After many attempts, I have the following situation. I think it is installed properly but that fact that I have any doubts about this doesn't sit well with me. It took way too long for me to install the gasket. I'm thinking either I have the wrong part or I'm missing something very basic about the way it's supposed to be installed. I watched several installation videos on the web and it doesn't look that difficult. The main problem I had was once I got the top portion of the gasket installed, it was extremely difficult to keep it in place while installing it around the perimeter. The next challenge was to install the tensioning wire. It wasn't obvious where it was supposed to sit. I put it as far down as possible because the raised part of the circular frame does not protrude very much and the wire has to have something to support it. When I finally got it in place, I put the front panel on and tried to install the outside part of the gasket. There is no way to fit that part of the gasket snugly around its seated position. The old gasket was thrown away because it was a moldy mess and I didn't anticipate that perhaps I would have had to compare it to the new one.

If you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

Didn't you take the old gasket off? And, save it to compare to the new one???

Reply to
hrhofmann

Yes, I definitely should have done that. (-: Perhaps you didn't make it to the end of my long story where I explained that it was thrown away because it was a moldy mess.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

One other thing I noticed was that at approximately the 11:00 and 1:00 positions of the gasket, there is a triangular flap (which is still part of the gasket) on each side that extend from the main gasket. These triangular pieces extend downward and are rubbing against the drum. Is that where those flaps are supposed to be?

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

"David Farber" wrote in message news:k6u9vv$7me$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

[...]

WW

I had some luck getting an assistant. With two more hands, we were able to inch the gasket along the perimeter as you would putting in a bicycle inner tube with two flat blade screwdrivers. There was too much tension in the spring to hook the spring up after the wire was in place so we left the spring attached to the ends and slowly eased the wire into place.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
David Farber

It seems my first instincts were correct. That being that I wasn't very confident that the gasket was seated properly. After putting it through a test wash, water started to leak out after about 10 minutes. If it were my washing machine, I'd probably fight a little longer to figure this out. Time to call a repair tech who does this for a living.

I'll post back if I get an answer to what was causing the leak.

Reply to
David Farber