LG dishwashers from Korea - any good?

I went to Home Depot today and saw some LG dishwashers, from Korea. Not cheap, nice looking. Anyone know anything about them, ie are they any good and likely to last at least a few years?

Also saw a nice Electrolux at the local appliance center, but I'm not quite ready to pay $1000 for a dishwasher, though I'm tempted if I thought it would work good and last a long time.

Reply to
Zootal

Molly Brown

They're more reliable than anything else on the market right now. Unlike japanese brands, they're not made in china.

electrolux is french crap. You'll be lucky if you make it two years without needing another $1000 for repairs.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Which is amazing since LG is the old Goldstar brand.

LG = Lucky Goldstar

Cliff Hartle

Zootal wrote in news:Xns9D559E2A5B430nospamspamzootalnosp@216.196.97.131:

Don't know about their dishwashers, but their fridges seem really well- made.

About 19 years ago, we bought one of their bar fridges when they were still called Goldstar. A few years ago, on the basis of the success we'd had with the bar fridge, we bought a full-sized model with the LG brand on it. It's been just fine.

A month after we bought the fridge, LG sent a technician to replace some kind of motherboard under a recall campaign. Fridges have motherboards now. Imagine that.

The only glitch with the full-size model is the door-open switch on the lower door. When the door opened to the right (as-shipped), the switch worked properly. But when I re-hung the doors to left-hand opening, the switch plunger ended up just a bit too short to reliably shut off the interior lamp. I ran out of upward adjustment on the lower door, so I just stuck a pad of Post-It Notes on the inside of the door to push the plunger in a bit further. Same pad is still there now, still doing its job. I guess I could have called it in as a warranty claim, but I was too lazy to do that...

Reply to
Tegger

Not so amazing when you think about it. The Goldstar stuff was cheap made and sold for cheap. After a few years they realized they could make good stuff but had a tarnished reputation. Change the name and start over.

I used to laugh at people that bought Hyundai automobiles. You know, the ones with the faded paint and rust. Cheap but crap. They too have turned the corner and I recently traded my 3 year old trouble free Sonata for a new one. Best value on the market, well constructed, built in the USA.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And sony used to make quality products in the 70's. Now they can only be said to make quality when compared to the worst chinese crap available at walmart.

I've seen sony do stuff since the 90's that would embarass the typical fly-by-night walmart brand. A lovely recent example was a pair of bluetooth headphones that came across because a critical 'pin' at the top of the headphones was nothing but a piece of wire. Wore out after 6 months use. Replaced it with a piece of center conductor from a piece of RG6 cable and now it's

10 times tougher. Cost to me about 1/20th of a penny; too much for sony.

Other examples are a cd walkman with the PC separated from the metal case not with spaces, but by a piece of thick paper. Wore out in a year.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

mspamzootalnosp@216.196.97.131:

I don't know about their dishwashers either, but I can tell you that at least some of their dehumidifiers are junk. I have one made by LG for Kenmore that is about 5 years old. A year ago, the fan motor burned out. Bought a replacement one, which you can get for $28 to $95 depending on where you buy it. The new one lasted about 6 months. Doing some googling, I found a thread where many people were having exactly the same problem with fan motors that continually fail. Some people have said what really fails is the thermal fuse that is rated at 130C and suggested replacing it with one that is 150C.

The really bad part is that, first this is just a simple motor that turns a squirrel cage blower so there is no excuse for not having a motor that works in their from day one. And second, posts in that thread go back 5 plus years. In all that time, one would think they would have found a replacement motor that is suitable and won't fail.

On the plus side, a friend has the high-end LG washer and dryer, and so far, no problems there after a year. That is if you don't count that the dryer would not light after I installed it. And that wasn't LG's fault. Turns out the flex gas hose I bought at HD had a dime in it pushed deep into the female connector. Probably put their by some prankster or disgruntled employee. Of course, I never thought to check the inside of the hose to make sure it wasn't blocked. LG was super on that, they made a service call and didn't charge.

Reply to
trader4

I have had LG TV and washer dryer now for a couple of years, Seems to be good quality.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9D55E38FDAD7Etegger@

208.90.168.18:

I'm mowing my lawn this afternoon, and I look down at my mower, and notice that the model number tag says Electrolux on it. Go figure? The top of it says Weed Eater, and it has a B&S engine. After three years the carb body came loose. I took it apart and cleaned it and put it back on but it's never been quite right since. It doesn't discharge grass very well and clogs easily if the grass is tall or damp. All in all, it's not that great of a mower.

Reply to
Zootal

Much more reliable than any of the U.S. brands. The only concern is that parts availability it likely to be problematic though you're less likely to ever need parts.

My higher end Maytag dishwasher has had two repair visits for recalls, plus I spent about $200 on replacement racks after the originals rusted. Next time it breaks I'll get an LG. I've been to one of the LG factories in Korea and it's very impressive. They are producing products as good as the Japanese companies now. Good cafeteria too, with all the kim-chi you can eat on every table!

Reply to
SMS

We bought an Electrolux a year ago (to replace the contractor crap that came with the house) and love it. We just bought the matching 'fridge. Long time? Who knows.

Reply to
krw

They're made in the US.

Reply to
krw

I stand corrected. My experience with them has been with their vacuum cleaners. They're not french either; swedish and of such poor design that the motors wear out before a single set of brushes wear out. Nice design, but poor execution and overall very expensive to keep running.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

"AZ Nomad" wrote

Really????? Mine is over 20 years old and has required no maintenance. Power brush works great. Maybe they've changed?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The gasket between the carb and the engine is important. Also works better with a coating of Permatex IIB, non hardening, on the gasket. This, from experience.

Silicone spray on the deck and chute may help. After power washing it all out, and let it dry.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We've always been a Kitchen Aid fan for dishwashers for some 38 years. But the last 2 have been crap. They could barely get through the warranty period without needing major work. Plus, they didn't work that good. KA has now been bought by Whirlpool. So, our latest is a Whirlpool. We've only had is since August, but it has, so far, outperformed my last 4 KAs; cleans better, quieter, EnergyStar (whatever that means). My only complaint is the silverware basket. We are using an old basket from a previous KA. The one in the Whirlpool is, clumsy at best. It can be used either on the door or attached to the lower large basket. I have it nylon tie wrapped to the basket because it kept falling off. We still use it for big stuff, but the simple, old, removable KA basket is much better.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I was going to say the same thing. The hose is going though. Of course, I don't use it all that much - mostly Roomba handles that chore now.

Reply to
dgk

My experience with electrolux was with a few owners who had vacuum cleaners needing repair over the last few years. I was astounded that the contacts on the motors would wear out before one brush set did. Kirby prices but without the durability. Of course the kirby has the terrible design of pulling the air through the fan instead of into the bag first, but the things are built like a tank.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

SMS wrote in news:4bc12df0$0$1610$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net:

Ohhh....kimchi on the tables! That itself is good enough of a reason to visit them!! You know how hard it is to find kim-chi cucumber or kim-chi radish in the Pacific Northwest?

drooolllsss.....

Reply to
Zootal