LG A/C Repair Parts Question?

Hello All;

I have an LG LW1000ER A/C that I purchased last year to replace an old unit mounted through the wall. Miraculously the sleeve size of the LG was exactly the same as the old York unit it was replacing (that's why I ordered it).

The unit works just fine except for one annoying issue. It is an electronically controlled unit and when it is shut off by pressing the POWER button either on the control panel or the remote, it shuts off but randomly will power itself back on. It will do this anywhere from a few minutes to several hours after being shut off. While this does not impair how the unit cools it is annoying when it happens either in the middle of the night or off-season (read-Winter). To prevent this from happening I must unplug the unit from the power output.

I spoke with LG about this being covered by its two year on-site warranty and was notified that when I mounted the unit through the wall I voided my manufacturers warranty!!!

So far as a result of my research it appears that this issue may be the cause of a faulty electronics board. According to a parts explosion diagram I located online, there are TWO electronic boards listed with part no.s 6871A20186A and 6871A20167C. I cannot tell which board does what as they are located in the same general area.

Hopefully there will be some A/C repair person reading this post that has access to a parts resource that can describe what each part number PCB does and can therefore identify which one should be replaced. I suppose I could replace both PCB's but I am trying to be cheap.

So, can some astute reader with look these parts up in the appropriate resource OR if there is a parts resource available online, please respond with the link for that site?

Thanks for any who can help me with this.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Mariotti

When the units come back on, are you using any other type of remotes? (like TV, DVD, garage door opener, etc.)

Just a thought...

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Bob Mariotti posted for all of us...

Any electrical spikes/sags/dropouts ?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Response to question #1) no other remotes cause it to come on. In fact, it will often come back on in the middle of the night with everything else off. Just sort of ... comes on!

Response to question #2) Don't know about the power spikes/surges, etc. It's a 110 V unit and its plugged into the normal room circuits. There is a dedicated 220V used by the prior unit so perhaps I should have that rewired to 110V to use the dedication.

Any ideas about the part numbers referenced? Would one of these cause this problem to occur?

Reply to
Bob_M

Hi Bob,

funny, last night i was playing with the electronics in my wg5200er. either your timer is getting set and turning it back on, or more likely, it's getting reset by either just loosing line voltage or getting a "power glitch" and thinks it was just plugged in again. you might even be able to determine which! if the temp is at 72 degrees when it mysteriously starts, it thinks it was just plugged in. if you set the temp at say 75 and it starts up and still reads 75, the timer got set somehow. but if it starts up and now reads 72, the power "glitched" somehow. you might also put a piece of black tape over the IR detector to see if it's getting something that it's mistaking for a remote control(not likely). i would suspect the power to the unit, can you try another house circuit for a night?

I don't know about your model, but mine has two circuit boards shown on the schematic (label on top of plastic frame that holds the circuit boards and capacitor). One is the display/keyboard(single ribbon cable) and the other is the microprocessor board that has all the connections to the power cord, compressor, and fan.

if anyone has one of these that got run over by a truck, i would love to buy your processor board from it! I have a GE that i would love to make as smart as the GS ;-) A new board is about twice the cost of the a/c ($99), but of course a new compressor is $350. I could just get another GS too, but where's the fun in that.

-larry / dallas

Bob Mariotti wrote: It is an

According to a parts

Reply to
larry

I got a call from the LG folks about a year ago. One of their refrigerators was wrong. If I remember, it was warm in the front, and freezing in the back. I went out to the house a couple times, and talked with their tech support guys on the phone, and they walked me through a bunch of things. Well, we never did get it repaired. The guy ended up taking the refrigerator back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Does it say in the manual that comes with it that it cannot be mounted in the wall? If not then the warranty voiding is BS.

Reply to
Art

If the main power switch is the momentary push type mounted on a pc board with a plastic film over it, temp changes can cause these to become possessed. Diagnosis is by parts change out and waiting to see if it happens again :-( As for the warranty issue pursue this with the store you bought it at or your local AG. Dave

Reply to
Dave Morrison

Thanks guys, for the responses.

I will get the dedicated 220V converted to 110V and use that to feed the AC. If that doesn't solve the issue then I will persue to warranty voiding issue. I'm not sure if the manual explicitly mentions no wall mounting but I did find an FAQ on LG's repair site that mentions this. I agree! If the manual doesn't state it then there is a valid argument.

Thanks again.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Mariotti

1st follw-up: Installed dedicated 110V circuit from breaker box to single outlet next to A/C unit. Unit still turned itself on again.
Reply to
Bob_M

OFF TOPIC But, funny. I was told a story about an industrial controller doing the same things, machinery starting up on its own, shutting down when it was not suppose to etc. etc.. This piece of equipment had a touch screen for setting parameters, turning on/off and so forth. THE PROBLEM: The brightly colored touch screen was attracting flies. Flies were landing on the touch screen and changing settings. Unless someone was there and actually seen this they would have never figured it out.

Barry

Reply to
Barr