LF: Paneling Solution

1970's basement with nasty paneling.
Drywalling not an option. Just painting over not an option.
Looking for a solution to get rid of the seam lines, but a solution that will last (ie: no chipping).
Home Depot has recommended Anaglipta (sp?) paper or prime the walls, fill with a flexible drywall compound, sand compound, prime again and then paint.
These are the types of solutions I am looking for.
TIA!
<< Looking for a solution to get rid of the seam lines, but a solution that will last (ie: no chipping). >>
First make sure the paneling is firmly anchored to the studs. A lot of paneling was installed with minimal nailing and dabs of adhesive over drywall or furring strips. If yours is a rigid type and well anchored, then consider fillling the seams with a filler like Bondo. It's cheap, goes on fast, cures fast, sands easily after shaping with a Surform file, and has terrific adhesion with a bit of flexibility. I see tradesmen using some version of it in floor work these days. HTH
Joe
Wallpaper works fine, as long as you clean the paneling first to remove grease and dirt, and use a wallpaper liner as the "base" before applying the actual wallpaper.

I tried the flexible drywall compound on my 1979's vintage panelling.......it was awful. Tons of work, more than if I'd just ripped off the panelling and put up new sheetrock. To make things worse, the spackle in a couple of the grooves bubbled up about a month after I'd completed the project.
I'd recommend ripping out the panelling (and sheetrock underneath, if any) and drywalling.
Good luck.
Mr Fixit eh

Thanks for the confirmation of my fears...I'll stay away from the compound. The chick on the phone at home depot didn't even sound convinced as she was recommending it. I think we've decided to go with the anagliptic <sp?> wall paper for now. Drywall isn't in the budget right now...I want a 3 season room 1st. :o) Thanks
I filled in the cracks in my paneling with drywall compound because I have a large basement and replacing with drywall was (is still) out of the question. I then primed and painted the panelling. It looks great! Make's a huge difference. I don't have any major cracks (and it's been 3 yrs) however, I do have some small cracks where the panels meet; I guess I should have used another (flexable) product such as a paintable caulking.
Jeff

compound.
<sp?>