Lextron AA Batteries - Any Good?

My BJ's carries a 48 pack of Lextron AA for $9.99 vs. a 36 pack of Energizers for $13.46.

I looked at Consumer Reports and they tested 14 brands of Alkaline batteries. They included name brands (Panasonic, Rayovac, Energizer, etc.) and store brands (CVS, Rite Aid, Kirkland, etc.) Unfortunately, the Lextron's are not on the list.

CR gave 13 out 14 of them "very good" ratings for use in toys, cd players etc. One got a "good." All 14 got a "fair" rating for use in digital cameras.

However, they state that they are listed in order of performance, so there must be some differences, although they don't define them. They also don't separate performance in camera from performance in a cd player - it's the same list - so I'm a little leery to use the performance ranking to make any decisions. The video says they top rated the Kirkland's based on the price - 21=A2 per battery.

So, can I assume that all AA batteries are so close to each other in performance that I should shop on price alone? That would make the Lextron's (21=A2) as good a deal as the Kirklands.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When you're in BJ's, buy the rechargeable batteries (the ones that come with the charger). You'll get more for your buck. You just have to remember to tell the kids not to throw them away...

I looked at Consumer Reports and they tested 14 brands of Alkaline batteries. They included name brands (Panasonic, Rayovac, Energizer, etc.) and store brands (CVS, Rite Aid, Kirkland, etc.) Unfortunately, the Lextron's are not on the list.

CR gave 13 out 14 of them "very good" ratings for use in toys, cd players etc. One got a "good." All 14 got a "fair" rating for use in digital cameras.

However, they state that they are listed in order of performance, so there must be some differences, although they don't define them. They also don't separate performance in camera from performance in a cd player - it's the same list - so I'm a little leery to use the performance ranking to make any decisions. The video says they top rated the Kirkland's based on the price - 21¢ per battery.

So, can I assume that all AA batteries are so close to each other in performance that I should shop on price alone? That would make the Lextron's (21¢) as good a deal as the Kirklands.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I went the recharge route for a time. I kept finding failures in the recharable cells.

Now I just buy "24 packs" of AAs or AAAs for around $5. No fuss. No muss. When the flashlight dims or the radio stops working, I toss the old cells and just grab a few more from the box.

Reply to
John Gilmer

So, can I assume that all AA batteries are so close to each other in performance that I should shop on price alone? That would make the Lextron's (21¢) as good a deal as the Kirklands.

They cost 10 bucks. How big a deal is it to find out if they don't last quite as long?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:ihXuj.7291$zo3.1341@trndny04:

I bought some Harbor Freight AAA alkalines,and they leaked before I got to use half of them. I won't buy Duracells either.

I usually buy Fuji Novel cells,they are low cost at my local Big Lots.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

4:

What's your complaint with Duracells? (just curious)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Good grief! If that's true, I shutter at how much money we've all wasted over the years by buying name brand batteries at 4 to 5 times the cost of the Lextrons, Kirklands, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

[...]

I saw a study on alkaline batteries. Probably by the same newsgroup that had the exploding pickup gas tanks.

Their final word was that alkalines are the same, and in a lot of cases, the offbrand Chinese lasted longer than the others. When you do as much advertising as some of these battery companies do, the money has to come from somewhere. Once you strip that off, the real cost of those Coppertop and spendy batteries is down in the 20 cent range, too. You have to sell a lot of batteries to show THAT many commercials THAT many times. They're the only thing that's on more than those erectile dysfunction medicines.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

PMFJI, but every few years I buy a couple of Duracells just to remind me why I don't buy Duracells. I get considerably better battery life out of the cheapest garbage batteries I can find. Most of the time, when they're included with a product I buy, I shelve or toss them and use Eveready or Ray-O-Vac.

Reply to
clifto

Years ago, I mixed and matched alkaline cells in my mini mag. Duracell, Energizer, Radio Shack. Ray O Vac, and Toshiba from BJ's. They all lasted about the same time, within 5% or so. No, I didn't use any high tech equipment.

Anyhow, the BJ's batteries are good.

For my digital camera, I have had excellent results with Duracell 2650 rechargables. They work better than alkalines. However, rechargables go flat on thier own, so rechargables are for daily use devices.

The flash light in your truck should get alkalines, unless it's everyday use. Alkalines outlast carbon cells 4 to 1, in tape recorders or flash lights. Always seems to work out to 4:1.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had some leaky Infinity Beyond, from Ebay. the AAA cells leaked, and the AA cells are fine. I didn't know Harbor Fright cells leaked. Mine have been fine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Blink! Blink!

(Are you shuttering? I'm flashing.....)

I am totally pleased with my new digi cam. I resisted for years, but now I'm having so much fun that I can't hardly believe it. Just take all the pictures I want, any where and any thing I want. Snow, equipment I'm repairing, parts I need to buy, wiring diagrams, poor installation to show customers what's wrong.... so many uses.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Which brands gave you trouble? I got osme rechargable from Ebay, and they were about 1/4 to 1/3 of them were inadequate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good grief! If that's true, I shutter at how much money we've all wasted over the years by buying name brand batteries at 4 to 5 times the cost of the Lextrons, Kirklands, etc.

It's true. I know it's true. I saw it on television.

Really, one of the top news programs did a segment. Tested a lot of batteries, and came to the conclusion they're all about the same. "About" meaning that those that cost X times what the cheapest cost were not X times better or lasted X times longer. The good grade batteries lasted only somewhat longer, but cost factored in, not worth the extra money.

I buy them at the 99 cent store, but I do use rechargeable AA for my camera and GPS. Both of those EAT batteries, and it's way cheaper for the nimh rechargeables once you've paid for the hit of the batteries and a good $30 smart charger with the refresh feature.

I imagine soon we'll be seeing nimh batteries at the 99 cent store, too. I keep watching and hoping. After all, I buy those $14 cell phone holders for

99 cents, and when they have them I buy six.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Ditto here. Spending $5 on 4 batteries is just plain against my religion.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:47bcb2a7$0$30682$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

HF "Thunderbolt" alkalines;half of the 12 pack of AAA cells leaked while still in the package,unused.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

I doubt CR's tests included leaking over time.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The First Church of Frugal?

Hey, five bucks four batteries, that's fine if they are Duracell 2650 NiMH. But not for AA alkalines.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Shazaam! That's terrible. I've got a bunch of them in AA and some in 9 volt. I'll avoid the AAA cells.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For rechargeables, stick with brand names. Sanyo AA Eneloop 8 for $12.99.

Reply to
Andy