Lextron AA Batteries - Any Good?

Page 1 of 2
My BJ's carries a 48 pack of Lextron AA for $9.99 vs. a 36 pack of Energizers for $13.46.
I looked at Consumer Reports and they tested 14 brands of Alkaline batteries. They included name brands (Panasonic, Rayovac, Energizer, etc.) and store brands (CVS, Rite Aid, Kirkland, etc.) Unfortunately, the Lextron's are not on the list.
CR gave 13 out 14 of them "very good" ratings for use in toys, cd players etc. One got a "good." All 14 got a "fair" rating for use in digital cameras.
However, they state that they are listed in order of performance, so there must be some differences, although they don't define them. They also don't separate performance in camera from performance in a cd player - it's the same list - so I'm a little leery to use the performance ranking to make any decisions. The video says they top rated the Kirkland's based on the price - 21 per battery.
So, can I assume that all AA batteries are so close to each other in performance that I should shop on price alone? That would make the Lextron's (21) as good a deal as the Kirklands.
When you're in BJ's, buy the rechargeable batteries (the ones that come with the charger). You'll get more for your buck. You just have to remember to tell the kids not to throw them away...
[...]

Which brands gave you trouble? I got osme rechargable from Ebay, and they were about 1/4 to 1/3 of them were inadequate.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

For rechargeables, stick with brand names. Sanyo AA Eneloop 8 for $12.99. <http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sanyo-Eneloop-NIMH-Rechargeable-AA-Batteries-8-Pack-GESHR3UTG8BP/sem/rpsm/oid/159047/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

<http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sanyo-Eneloop-NIMH-Rechargeable-AA-Batteries-8-Pack-GESHR3UTG8BP/sem/rpsm/oid/159047/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do I have heard a lot of good about the Eneloops, but have not yet seen them for sale locally. That is pretty reasonable per battery. Guess I'll look a bit more, then just buy online.
Steve
My BJ's carries a 48 pack of Lextron AA for $9.99 vs. a 36 pack of Energizers for $13.46.
So, can I assume that all AA batteries are so close to each other in performance that I should shop on price alone? That would make the Lextron's (21) as good a deal as the Kirklands.
They cost 10 bucks. How big a deal is it to find out if they don't last quite as long?

I bought some Harbor Freight AAA alkalines,and they leaked before I got to use half of them. I won't buy Duracells either.
I usually buy Fuji Novel cells,they are low cost at my local Big Lots.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

What's your complaint with Duracells? (just curious)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

PMFJI, but every few years I buy a couple of Duracells just to remind me why I don't buy Duracells. I get considerably better battery life out of the cheapest garbage batteries I can find. Most of the time, when they're included with a product I buy, I shelve or toss them and use Eveready or Ray-O-Vac.
--
Leftist Google censors the right

Ditto here. Spending $5 on 4 batteries is just plain against my religion.
Steve
The First Church of Frugal?
Hey, five bucks four batteries, that's fine if they are Duracell 2650 NiMH. But not for AA alkalines.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

HF "Thunderbolt" alkalines;half of the 12 pack of AAA cells leaked while still in the package,unused.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
[...]
I saw a study on alkaline batteries. Probably by the same newsgroup that had the exploding pickup gas tanks.
Their final word was that alkalines are the same, and in a lot of cases, the offbrand Chinese lasted longer than the others. When you do as much advertising as some of these battery companies do, the money has to come from somewhere. Once you strip that off, the real cost of those Coppertop and spendy batteries is down in the 20 cent range, too. You have to sell a lot of batteries to show THAT many commercials THAT many times. They're the only thing that's on more than those erectile dysfunction medicines.
Steve

Good grief! If that's true, I shutter at how much money we've all wasted over the years by buying name brand batteries at 4 to 5 times the cost of the Lextrons, Kirklands, etc.
Blink! Blink!
(Are you shuttering? I'm flashing.....)
I am totally pleased with my new digi cam. I resisted for years, but now I'm having so much fun that I can't hardly believe it. Just take all the pictures I want, any where and any thing I want. Snow, equipment I'm repairing, parts I need to buy, wiring diagrams, poor installation to show customers what's wrong.... so many uses.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Good grief! If that's true, I shutter at how much money we've all wasted over the years by buying name brand batteries at 4 to 5 times the cost of the Lextrons, Kirklands, etc.
It's true. I know it's true. I saw it on television.
Really, one of the top news programs did a segment. Tested a lot of batteries, and came to the conclusion they're all about the same. "About" meaning that those that cost X times what the cheapest cost were not X times better or lasted X times longer. The good grade batteries lasted only somewhat longer, but cost factored in, not worth the extra money.
I buy them at the 99 cent store, but I do use rechargeable AA for my camera and GPS. Both of those EAT batteries, and it's way cheaper for the nimh rechargeables once you've paid for the hit of the batteries and a good $30 smart charger with the refresh feature.
I imagine soon we'll be seeing nimh batteries at the 99 cent store, too. I keep watching and hoping. After all, I buy those $14 cell phone holders for 99 cents, and when they have them I buy six.
Steve