Leviton Push Button Timers 5A 20A ?! Huh

I recently upgraded my bathroom fan from a on/off switch to a Leviton switch a "5, 10, 15, 30 minute" electronic model 6230M. I was thinking since it's a

15A circuit and a bathroom fan that I'd hook it up using the "5 Amp" wiring diagram, a fan not going to pull anything near 5 amps right?. Black to Line, Blue to device and Green to ground, White/Neutral not connected. Well that didn't work. The LED didn't even come on. So, I change my approach to use Leviton's "20 Amp" wiring diagram which basically just means that you hook the Leviton timer's white lead into the neutral as well. At first I thought that wasn't working either. When I put the power on the main line the LED on the bottom just blinked. I tried pushing some buttons and nothing, then after about another minute it just started mysteriously working like it should. I used a VO meter to test everything, the wiring is all as it should be. Do these switches need to "charge up" before they start working? What's with the 5 Amp circuit not working. Thx.
Reply to
Alan Smithee

Possibly you misinterpreted the instructions. From what I see, it's a 20 amp rated switch that requires a neutral to function

Reply to
RBM

You're right! I'm reading the instructions. The unit I have is a 20A device. But they don't show this on the main installation page...you have to flip the instuctions back and forth and figure out what model you have. I went with what the guy at the BORG recommended. Obviously too heavy a switched. In short I could have bought the 6560M model which has slightly different times but is only rated for 5A devices such as small fans and lights. Thx.

Reply to
Alan Smithee

Just my opinion: If the guy at the "Borg" knew what he was talking about, he'd have a real job

Reply to
RBM

IIRC, Tim Taylor had a plan to use a whole house fan as a bathroom fan. It was great. It had bubbles coming up out of the toilet. You may want to do that in a couple years, so it's good you have the right timer.

What was the difference in price?

Reply to
mm

With that connection (the one without the neutral), the timer would have to get its power through the load. This works with incandescent bulbs. Fans are different. Those instructions probably said "incandescent only" somewhere.

That "5 amp" connection would probably work with a light fixture using up to 600W of incandescent bulbs.

I don't know anything about such a switch taking awhile to start working.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Haed to see, but here it is.

Big Al

Thanks for the link, I'm interested as well.

The 2 wiring diagrams refer to 2 different versions of the switch. One with 5A capacity identified as for lights only (no motors, according to that page). The other with 20A capacity, requiring a neutral connection.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd