Leveling vinyl floor

Hi all,

My house is built on a slab. The previous owner had some work done on the pipes that run through the slab. He didn't bother to smooth out the kitchen or utilty room floor, just used this awful black adhesive and put vinyl over the floor. I spent a weekend trying to get the vinyl off of the utilty room floor and it just will not come up. So I put the first laminate on the kitchen floor, (and through the whole house for that matter.) My dishwasher leaked and dmaged the laminate. I want to put vinyl down over the other vinyl. What can I use to level out the otherr vinyl? It is secure. VERY secure. If you know the brand of whatever you recommend, that would be great. I found a leveler for concrete floors. It did not say anything on the package about going over vinyl. The guy at Lowes said the old vinyl HAD to come up. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Suzi

Reply to
The Data Rat

To begin with the dingbat that had it before you should have known you never put a finished floor on a slab without sleepers in between. And a leveler has to be put on a bare surface. NEVER NEVER NEVER put vynal on vynal. Or for that matter carpeting or any pliable surface on another pliable surface. A breathing surface must have a hard underlayment beneath it. Heat and elbow grease is your only solution. That and LOTS of time. I don't envy you.

Reply to
jjfxcfc

No, that is not the only solution. The best solution, if you can find one, is to rent a floor scraper. Motorized blade that reciprocates horizontally. You will also need a flat file to keep sharpening the blade. Makes quick work of glued down flooring products. Makes a mess too.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Bozo, You don't your ass from a hole in the ground regarding floor coverings. Shut up, go away, learn to spell.

Reply to
G Henslee

I was once involved with a group whose office was redone after a fire.. I swear I thought they put like a thin wood veneer on the floor before they tiled it.. is that like the veneer you use to fix doors? is there a waterproof synthetic alternative? I ask because my entire basement is done with asbestos tile and absestos mastic and I am loathe to someday scrape off the old tile.. (would the bozo who is about to say asbestos is harmless please just stick a garden hose up his nose?) but if you put a wood layer and the basement floods, it's worse, right? I've seen stores in Manhattan that are part of larger buildings (eg Rockefeller Center skyscrapers) and it seems the floor, even though not basement, is tile over concrete and they jackhammer it off..

- = - Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Fooey on GIU,{MS,X}Windows 4 Bimbos] [Cigar smoke belongs in veg food group]

Reply to
vjp2.at