Leveling toilet

Another rental property question. (I always say that because the rental rehab we acquired had some *sloppy* el-cheapo construction. Wherever I can I try to improve as I fix.)
The city noted on its inspection a loose toilet (base). There isn't any obvious leak, and the nuts seem as tight as they can go, but it rocks front to back as much as 1/4".
Apparently there's a way to level toilets using "metal shims" -- is there a special kind I should get? Does it matter that they're metal since it's on top of vinyl flooring and plywood beneath that? If I shim it should I seal using something like plumber's putty (or would that conceal and concentrate any rot?). If it isn't leaking, do I need to take the thing off and replace the wax seal, or should I just do that anyway?

I always got them solid onto only three points, well spread out--then they cant rock......
And with vinyl sheet on the floor, sealed with silicone, the white anti fungal kind--other floors like concrete, you might use grout, not really sure.
--

SVL

Most plumbing stores are now stocking some very small white plastic shims just made to shim toilet bases. You can also grout pack them. To make everything look nice a bead of DAP wiped in with a sponge will look quite professional.

rental
Wherever I

isn't any

rocks
is
metal
I shim

that
need to

that
Another way to address this is to mask around the base of the toilet then remove the toilet. Place a layer of plaster that is thick enough to level the toilet (not dry wall mud) inside the masking tape. Replace the wax gasket and reseat the toilet in the wet plaster. After tightening down the toilet let the plaster harden (over night or a day) and it will not rock.
This is particularly useful when the toilet is on tile that wasn't installed properly (all tile top surfaces not co-planar.)
RB
DanG wrote:

----------------- Agreed. I always install toilets without caulking around the base for this very reason.

Galvanized washers or loose change works for shims, I've found em all.
Jolt

The toilet must be supported around its base. Shims will work or you can use grout because it is hard and does not compress after it sets. Caulk is wrong. Do not try to tighten down the attaching nuts because you will wind up either compressing the wax seal to nothing, or you will crack the toilet. The support must come from what the toilet sets on.