Leveling a subfloor for laminate...

I'm installing laminate flooring over an uneven subfloor. In most spots, the subfloor dips only slightly but in one area, I'm looking at a 1-1.5" dip (at the centre) for an area about 2 ft. in diameter. Pulling up the subfloor is not an option. Can I use sand or thinset or something to level it?
TIA!

Use a commercial leveling compound. There are several brands on the market, dry type mixed with water to a flowable consistancy. Fill up leaky gaps with a stiff mix of the compund, then flow in enough sloppy mix for the final fill and screed it as needed. Most can be machine sanded if necessary, and you may have to sand the subfloor anyway to get the best substrate for the laminate. Good luck.
Joe