Lets roll!

Page 4 of 16
I only respond to "can I get an Amen!"

Lemme hear an 'Amen'.
pyotr
-- pyotr filipivich Most journalists these days couldn't investigate a missing chocolate cake at a pre-school without a Democrat office holder telling them what to look for, where, and why it is Geroge Bush's fault.

Yikes!
I'm much more interested in your soldering techniques. I'd rather not discuss religion with you. I just can't see any good that would come of it.
I have already offended you in some fashion.. I'd rather not make things worse by engaging in a debate concerning philosophy, religion, or politics.
--
Things look bad from over here. Too much confusion and no solution.
Everyone here knows your fear. Your out of touch and you try too much.
Dustin wrote:

I wasn't discussing religion, just giving some more definitions of fools. I only discuss that subject with people I know. :)
Did you see the post about the Harbor Freight iron not being practical about converting to three wire power cords? Also, I got the flux dispenser bottle in the mail today and I'm not happy with the size or quality. The hypodermic needle just pushes on, and isn't very tight. They would be OK for the casual user, but not for hours of daily use. It's about 1 3/8" diameter * 2 3/4" tall without the cap & a needle. I don't think it would be very stable on a cluttered workbench. I like the three soldering irons that arrived on Wednsday, and that there are thousands of tips for sale on Ebay. The lock ring connectors are a lot better than the lightweight five pin DIN connectors and I've located a place to buy them wholesale. I am considering a custom, Atmel 2560 based controller that will hold four soldering irons, a desoldering iron & a built in ohm meter to test the ground connections. Each with it's own power switch. It's annoying to have to let an iron cool to change a tip, then repatr that for another job. I used to barely get by with three irons at Microdyne, but there are times when I needed a second iron with a large tip. The pair with the smallest chisel tips were used to remove surface mounted resistors & capacitors by heating both ends at once.

Offended me? I would simply kill file you if that were the case. :)

Since I rarely solder, Im interested in that "Cold Heat" cordless iron they show on TV. Seems that would be handy for the little dab of soldering I do. What say ye? NB
bates2012 wrote:

They are low grade resistance soldering irons. I've not heard anyone brag about them being good. Only one who claimed they were 'OK', and he was considered a hack who patched store return junk together and sold it to suckers.
The tips are carbon, and very fragile. They have a short life. If you want a battery powere iron, look at the Wahl cordless irons. They cost more, but they do work. I used one for years to repair the circuit boards in Commodore 64 computers. The also sold a 'Tuner extension tip which was about four inches long. You could work it through a group of wires, then push the button to heat the tip. No risk of burning the wiring in tight places. They were in the $30 range when I bought the 'Orange' eight hour charge model. A week later the 'Red' one hour charge model came out. :)
One big problem with a rechargable iron: Battery life is only a few years. If you aren't doing work on static sensitve electronics, just buy a 25 to 45 W iron. I have used Weller SP23 irons since the late '60s. There is a 40W model in that line, as well.

Thanks for the info. Ill look into the Wahl irons. NB

The little Coleman Cold Heat unit I've had for years uses standard AA batteries and works best on thick metal like battery terminals and old time soldering lugs. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I looked at them when they first came out and the entire batch had bad tips. I rarely need to solder a joint or two and just wasn't impressed with them, but if it works for you, enjoy it. :)
On 7/27/2012 1:04 AM, bates2012 wrote:

I used the one I own to repair a telephone yesterday. I didn't have to pull out my Weller soldering station I bought new 38 years ago. ^_^
TDD

I find great value in your information. thanks for sharing.
--
Things look bad from over here. Too much confusion and no solution.
Everyone here knows your fear. Your out of touch and you try too much.
Dustin wrote:

You're welcome. :)
On 07/27/2012 09:25 PM, Dustin wrote:

+1
technomaNge

technomaNge wrote:

Thanks. I just got a new power connector for that laptop. It's going to be fun to replace. :)

I am confident it will be successfully repaired and go to a worthy veteran.
I have more stuff to send, no time to pack it, sigh.
technomaNge

technomaNge wrote:

No problem. I'm trying to get caught up. I want to empty a 12'*12' building by my driveway and convert it into a real electronics shop. That will cost me at least $1,000 and I'll hjave to deal with zoning & code enforcement. Is now a criminal act to do lousy repairs. I even need a building permit to replace some rotten gateposts. The only thing that doesn't require a permit is to replace sidewalks, if you're disabled. In a way I was thrilled when construction slowed down. Code Enforcment had to lay off over 75% of the inspectors, and prices on building materials dropped back to where they belong. Several 'trade only' building smaretial suppliers are now open to the public in an attempt to keep their doors open. They just can't understand why people aren't flocking through their doors after decades of being told, 'We don't need your business'. Some people?
No matter, I'm going to do some of the work anyway. :)

Heck, I'm disabled, can't run and I'm not bullet proof so I suppose I could limp away as quickly as I could or do whatever I could to protect a child from a lunatic. O_o
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Have you been reading my mail? :(

Na, you're probably a member of the invisible work force in this country like me and the guys I work with. We get no help from the government, heck, we've been turned away and told them to get screwed. We work as hard as we can when we can in order to survive. My old Hippie roommate was actually getting help from Social Security and Medicare/Medicade or whatever the heck it's called and he died the first part of this month. He walked out of the county hospital with an IV bag of blood in his arm and was later found unconscious at a bus stop. He wound up back at the hospital in ICU in a coma for a month before coming out of it long enough to say goodby to his sister. He and his older brother who died earlier this year because of the same self destructive behavior now reside in their sister's closet in 2 rather small boxes of ashes. The two idiots partied themselves to death with drugs, alcohol and inhalation of the byproducts of combustion from various legal and illegal substances. Me, I've never touched any of that crap and my problems are due to accumulated injuries over more than a half century. The damage adds up but I keep on truckin. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

A Veteran I know was found dead in her rented home recently. She had been trying to get disbility. She served at the wrong time to get non service connected, and SS screwed her around so long that it killed her. :(
The Daring Dufas wrote:

You might consider configuring your situation to provide another choice: Returning fire.