Lets roll!

Page 15 of 16
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I had a Delco '60s car radio that I put five temperature sensitive transistors in. I used it to see if newly hired techs knew what they were doing. Some worked hot, other worked cold, and all five had theirown temperature range. I had one hotshot spend half a day on it before he quit and walked out of the shop. It was funny watching them with a can of freeze mist in one hand, and a heat lamp in the other as they tried to decide which part was bad. A VTVM to measure the collect voltages would have shown them the faults in under a minute.

It was a big deal when VTVM's went solid state. What was it, FETVM? ^_^
The guys who received electronics training in the military were invariably good at it but one guy I knew was arrogant and nasty toward those of us who had to do it the hard way even though our tax dollars got him his training. Back in the 70's during the CB craze I obtained a bunch of Sencore test gear for working on CB radios and electronics and my favorite was the Secore transistor tester which would test FET's and all types of transistors in and out of circuit. The CB was the iPhone of the 70's and I could sell a piece of junk CB for $100.00. Geez! I repaired thousands of those damn things but the most entertaining radios to service were the taxicab radios. Those big old Motorola and GE trunk mounted hybrids or tube type beasts that the taxi companies picked up used. I showed the drivers how to tap on the vibrator to get it going again until one of them came to the shop with a dead radio in which he had beaten in every aluminum can in the darn chassis trying to get the vibrator power supply to start up. I found a wonderful little 25 watt VHF unit made by Sonar Radio Inc. that I started selling the taxi companies and it was a bit larger than a CB but fit under the dash and didn't weigh 100lbs. Ain't technology wonderful? ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Motorola 'Twin V' 6 or 12 volt radio. GE 'Pre-prog' or 'Progress' lines. I fixed a lot of CB radios, but mostly to teach other techs how to do it. That sonar was blueish grey with an anodized aluminum chassis? The FM-40? Did you sell them the external tone squelch that used one of the radio control tuned relays that sent a loud TWANG!!!!! when you keyed the mic? It and the radio used a handful of 13cw4 or 13ds4 Nuvistors.

No, the radio we were selling was all solid state, no hybrid. I don't recall all the details, it was a "few" years ago but the darn things were easy to install and trouble free. Not once did a cabbie come in with the guts of those radios smashed all to hell. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

All the Sonar brand radios I saw were tube, and not that reliable. :(
I had a guy come into the shop with an electrolytic can capacitor and part of a PC board. He told me it was a bad vibrator for his car radio, and he needed a new one. He refused to beleive what it was, called us all idiots and left. I wonder how many other shops got a good laugh out of him?

When I was a kid, I made my own crude big stun gun with a vibrator, transformer and battery pack slung on my shoulder and a wand with a two pronged 15 amp plug on the end and cable back to the power supply. I had a doorbell button for a trigger. The sparks frightened the bullies. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I built one with a solid state vibrator, and the power transformer from a car radio. It really lit them up off a couple D cells! I took it to electronics class when I started highschool and hooked it to the lab supply to get the 12.6 volts. It blew a 15W lightbulb when I turned it on. ;-)

I went the other way, packing the home-made coil and the flattened cell stack from a 9V battery into a small medicine tin which I left out on my desk. I forgot to consider the impact damage when it struck the wall.
jsw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

That's what they make patching plaster for. :) I was working on something one day when my younger sister and one of her idiot friends barged into my room to annoy me. I threw a screwdriver at the wall next to them, and they took off screaming. It was stuck in the wall, so I filled the hole and repainted it before my dad got home from work. needless to say, she dragged my dad to my room with one of her sob stories about how I had tried to hurt her, and pointed at the wall where it had hit. Dad looked and asked, Were? I don't see any hole. She pointed and said, The hole was right there! He just shook his head & walked away. She left me alone for a while, after that. ;-)
I made an earlier one that had foil sides and a label on top, Do not touch! Inside was a small coil, a vibration switch made from a nail, and a D cell. The neighbor's idiot kids would line up to take turns to pick it up, scream, and drop it. It wasn't much bigger than the D cell. :)

My first job out of college was a job at an electrical supplier and I was always blamed for any prank even if I didn't perpetrate it. I once put a small lizard I found on the loading dock in the coffee can for the coffee money fund and whenever someone dropped coins in the can, the lizard ran around inside the can making quite a racket. I found a frog outside, put it in a small box labeled "DO NOT OPEN". The screams of the curious secretary let me know when it was opened. I never did get the hang of being a grownup. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Amateur! I installed some speakers & an amplifier to the business phone line so everyone in the shop could hear every conversation. You could hear the old mechanical phone exchange connect to the line, then look for a ring generator. You could answer the phone before it rang, every time. It really freaked out our customers! :)
At a Cable TV office in Ohio I would turn the lens upside backwards or both, every time one young woman came down the hall. She thought she was going insane.!
I have an allergy to cigarette smoke, and one idiot thought that it was funny to light up and blow the crap in my face. I asked the manager to remind them that the building was supposed to be smoke free, but he didn't care. One night I emptied an entire can of Lysol into the ductwork. The jerk light up the next morning and took a deep drag, and almost passed out. He ran to get the manager and was screaming like a little girl that I had tried to kill him. I smiled and told the manager that I had sprayed the ductwork to rid it of the nicotine odor, and that I would have to keep doing it, till it was gone, and reminded him of the million dollars worth of electronics across the hall wasn't supposed to be exposed to smoke. ;-)
I never did this, but ought have. One college professor at my "smoke free" campus would smoke, as he was teaching. He'd use a piece of paper for his ashtray, or perhaps an empty pop can. I never did put flash paper, or a dry pop can with a bunch of gunpowder, in the trash can.
I have an allergy to cigarette smoke, and one idiot thought that it was funny to light up and blow the crap in my face. I asked the manager to remind them that the building was supposed to be smoke free, but he didn't care. One night I emptied an entire can of Lysol into the ductwork. The jerk light up the next morning and took a deep drag, and almost passed out. He ran to get the manager and was screaming like a little girl that I had tried to kill him. I smiled and told the manager that I had sprayed the ductwork to rid it of the nicotine odor, and that I would have to keep doing it, till it was gone, and reminded him of the million dollars worth of electronics across the hall wasn't supposed to be exposed to smoke. ;-)
Stormin Mormon wrote:

A pop can with a dozen drops of gasoline might have got his attention. :)
He'd have smelled it, before the action. Gunpowder is odorless.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

A pop can with a dozen drops of gasoline might have got his attention. :)
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Wait till he had a bad cold...

I'm deathly allergic to tobacco smoke and have been known to brain a smoking creep with a fire extinguisher after emptying in his face. Freon and Halon are also very rough on smokers if you can get enough of a concentration into the air. CO2 is also fun to release in large quantities in a small space around smokers. I've had evil thoughts of flammable gasses even high concentrations of O2 but the civilized man in me put a stop to that. I've installed Halon fire suppression systems and if I remember correctly it took less than an 8% concentration of 1301 to put out a fire. I've never seen a smoker try to light up in that atmosphere but it would be fun albeit expensive to tryout on one of those idiots. ^_^
TDD
My hero!
I'm deathly allergic to tobacco smoke and have been known to brain a smoking creep with a fire extinguisher after emptying in his face. Freon and Halon are also very rough on smokers if you can get enough of a concentration into the air. CO2 is also fun to release in large quantities in a small space around smokers. I've had evil thoughts of flammable gasses even high concentrations of O2 but the civilized man in me put a stop to that. I've installed Halon fire suppression systems and if I remember correctly it took less than an 8% concentration of 1301 to put out a fire. I've never seen a smoker try to light up in that atmosphere but it would be fun albeit expensive to tryout on one of those idiots. ^_^
TDD
Stormin Mormon wrote:

A great way to get an ass-kicking, if you ask me. If someone sprayed me with an ABC extinguisher (with the irritant in the powder), I'd consider that an act of aggression. I respect the owners wishes if their car/truck is "smoke free", but do that to me where I'm allowed to smoke and you might get the extinguisher shoved up your ass.

"G. Morgan" wrote:

Which is another act of aggression, and a sex crime. You must be one of those non violent homosexula liberals with your facscination wth other men. You got so hot & bothered that you forgot that he said it was in a smoke free place, where they ignored the rules.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Hyperbole (hy-PUR-be-lee; Greek: huperbole-, "exaggeration") is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
HTH HAND GFY