Lets roll!

Page 13 of 16
On 7/22/2012 10:00 PM, Deucalion wrote:

Head shot. ^_^
TDD
Oren wrote:

So did Ronald Reagan.

Did he?
On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 00:24:47 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

They say that he did.
<http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/midnight_movie_massacre_colora.html
Oates said the gunman wore a gas mask and a ballistic helmet and vest, as well as leg, groin and throat protectors. He said among the guns was an AR-15 rifle and that the gunman used two gas canisters.

I heard others say that it was clothing that *looked* like SWAT gear, that he didn't have armor.

The first press conference (about 12 hours after the hooha first broke out) the Chief specifically stated that the vest, helmet, legging, groin and throat protectors were all either tactical or ballistic (and IIRC the vest was termed as both). Don't know if that had changed since then.

At least a couple of times. I suspect we won't know, now, until the trial, if it ever happens.
Deucalion wrote:

Even IF he was dressed to the nines in armor, a shot will still sting like hell. Ballistic armor is meant to protect a life, not cause the bullet to bounce harmlessly away. A shot to the chest to someone wearing a bullet-proof vest will, in likelihood, take him down. Certainly several hits will cause debilitating pain - at least for several minutes.

harryagain wrote:

Then it's a good thing you don't own a gun.
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 16:50:08 +0100, "harryagain"
<snip>

<snip>
The key word is might. It is worthwhile to review the circumstances:
(1) It was dark (pitch black).
(2) The area was packed with people.
(3) The shooter was wearing full body armor and a gas mask.
(4) The shooter had just thrown at least one tear gas grenade, and many of the people in the immediate area were having trouble even breathing, let alone seeing the shooter to get a sight picture, even with a red dot laser sight.
(5) Many of the people thought it was some sort of publicity stunt at the start.
(6) When you are with your family in a movie you are not in the "psyched up" combat mode (or if you are, you need counseling and/or meds before you have a heart attack or stroke).
(7) The typical concealed carry weapon is a 32/380 or at most a 9 mm, any of which is highly doubtful to make much of an impression on a pumped up shooter, possibly on drugs, wearing body armor. A high energy/high penetration weapon/round effective against body armor and/or with sufficient "knock down", such as a FMJ 38 super automatic (CIP designation) would have extreme danger of over penetration and ricochet in a dense movie crowd.
(8) IMNSHO -- given the uncertain circumstances and great danger of collateral damage, even a SWAT trained professional would have hesitated to open fire, and would have difficulty in target acquisition.
FWIW -- I am reposting below an earlier observation about the laxity of investigation from an epistemological standpoint, ==>given the increasing frequency, magnitude and total illogic of recent shooting and assault incidents.<= ===== repeat of earlier posting ==== The usual rhetoric will now spew from the demagogs and rabble-rousers of both the right and the left, the results of which will be the traditional debate about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin and resolve nothing, while generating large campaign contributions.
==> This incident, particularly on top of other recentincidents, given the detailed preparations and planning, is far past a "shit happens" explication. <= Clearly there is a serious and growing problem of unprovoked and random violence, which is rapidly escalating in both frequency and magnitude, but what concrete investigative steps have been or are being taken, not only in this instance, but nationwide?
==>Is the CDC involved in epidemiological analysis of theseincidents, and if not, why not?<= *    Were blood samples taken from the suspect on arrest and analyzed for known =>and more importantly unknown<substances? Is some sort of "super bath salts" or drug combination/cocktail loose on the streets? *    Were CAT scans made of the suspect's head looking for brain damage, changes and abnormalities? Is there a new infectious agent involved or have new street drugs caused organic brain damage/changes?
*    Has the suspect been psychologically analyzed or tested, particularly for some sort of mind control or post hypnotic suggestion, possibly in combination with the known/unknown substances in his blood? Have terrorists developed a real life "Manchurian Candidate" process?
*    How frequently did the suspect play video games and what types/brands were these? Is this a copycat crime based on a video game fantasy?
*    In as far as it is possible to determine, was the suspect's diet in way unique or unusual, for example habitually consuming large amounts of a particular soft drink or snack?
Lets cut the crap, and get the facts...
==============
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,

NO it wasn't NO theater is "pitch dark" when a film is showing

The theater may have been full, but people were sitting down "Packed" is an exaggeration

And ? If nothing else that would make him perfectly identifiable Add to that the muzzle flashes when shots are fired, and anyone with a military or police background, or even self-defense training as a civilian, would have no problem identifying a target.

A red dot laser sight is not a flashlight to light up and identify a target. It's to identify point-of-aim ON a target

a) I'm ALWAYS in yellow in a public place b) Anyone who is in white is the one in need of some counseling

BULLSHIT Most people who carry, have something in 9 mm or bigger. 32 is rare enough to be the exception or the backup 380 is becoming more common, but the ammo has also been improved But not that even .22lr in the hands of a experienced shooter can be deadly. (I do most of my self-defense practice in .22lr, with only a few rounds fired in the heavier caliber to make sure my POA is the same.)

Think a bit more about this. The shooter was probably not standing surround (all around) by his victims He was standing alone where he could face his intended targets That would place him away from any potential bystanders. That means that shooting at him would only be a danger to people between them.

Then you need to read up on the excellent and quite complete study done by the Secret Service on the subject

Not needed
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 19:50:22 -0500, "Atila Iskander"

and a big danger to the people beyond the shooter with a good aim, particularly if a soft [unarmored] spot like the head was hit, and around the shooter unless the aim was perfect. With a high penetration round, i.e. hard/fmj, serious danger of ricochets also exists.
One big question is how did the perp get in the theater dressed in body armor, wearing or carrying a gas mask, and an assault rifle? Walk through the lobby? Use a side or back entrance? Side and back entrances are normally fire exits and only open from the inside, and are usually alarmed.
There is far more to this story.
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
On 7/22/2012 9:02 PM, F. George McDuffee wrote:

Yes there is.
One report said he had a used ticket on him when he was arrested.
Based on that, he probably went in normally, slipped out the exit (why no alarm?), rigged the door, dressed up and came back in.
More will come out in the next few days.
And more will come out of the fantasy-heroes here in the next few days as well.

There are no alarms on the side/back doors of the theater here. Everyone walks out the doors after the show is over.

You seem to be having fun, too.
On 7/22/2012 11:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

No, this isn't fun.

Richard wrote:

If it's like a lot of commercial alarm installations that I've seen it was wired with surface mounted switches & exposed wiring. Then all you need is a jumper with a couple alligator clips to jump the switch on the door. I've seen more than one door where the switch had been bypassed & left that way after it went bad.
In any case, there should be two systems monitoring the exits, with the switches inside the door frames. One for security, and a second as part of the burglar/fire alarms
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

If it's installed correctly, the EOLR would prevent the jumper trick. It probably had no EOLR supervision.

Yup, one for the alarm and one for a door position switch for the employees to monitor propped doors. I've installed lots of systems on college campus dorms that's all it did - sound the keypad with a zone indicator saying which door has been open for more than "x" seconds.
"G. Morgan" wrote:

BS. EOLR only detects open or shorted circuits. it doesn nothing to prevent bypassing a single switch, unless every switch is a home run. I used to teach new techs how to install alarm systems, and built an early central monitoring station.

I installed some in nursing homes that sounded an alarm if any door except the lobby door was opened to prevent walkaways in their dementia patients.