Lets roll!

Page 2 of 16
So, so true.
Sad part is, the 'hero' might spend his life in prison for doing the right thing to save his life or others.
Gunner Asch wrote:

It's just when they're read that they turn into Technicolor displays.
typed in alt.survival the following:

    "We find the defendant Not Guilty, and he can keep the mule."
    I remember reading of a rather bad individual who was shot dead, in the street, middle of the day. Yet nobody recalls seeing anything, or hearing anything. Strange how that sometimes happens.
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Most journalists these days couldn't investigate a missing chocolate cake

It is a sheeple mentality. They don't think things can go bad. Things can, they do... You should be prepared for it.
One shouldn't have to worry about going to a burger joint or anything else and getting shot at, but it happens.

I'm not so sure anymore. More and more people are losing it and going postal.

I carry because you never know who you're going to run into. We have a road rage problem here locally. I've had an individual take a shot or two at me and I wasn't even the vehicle that cut him off.
I found out tho, that my old van makes for a fairly okay small weapons fire shield, and allows me to disable the offending vehicle easily. He spun out and ate some of that new metal cable they have to seperate lanes of traffic. I didn't stop to see if he was okay. I'd say by the crash, roll and cable slicing into the car, he probably wasn't doing so good.
He was along side me, and fired at me man...His first shot came into the cab and took out my passenger window! I hit the brakes and pulled a hard left, right into his car. As soon as I felt the hit, I mashed the gas and turned into it. Big block saved my hide; she pushed hard. :) 90 model 3/4 ton straight 6300bigblock, 410 gearing. no overdrive. Commercial grade, full cage. Built tough.
I know atleast two cars stopped behind us; I could see them in my mirrors..
I don't know why he fired at me, but I know it was damn close and I could have been killed that day. I'm not sorry I used my van as a weapon, I was acting in what I felt was self defense. Hit him, so he can't squeeze another round off. I couldn't run from him. He'd easily overtake me.
--
I don't need no arms around me. And I dont need no drugs to calm me. I
have seen the writing on the wall. Don't think I need anything at all.

Did you get arrested for leaving the scene?

What are the witnesses going to say? "Hey, it was a white van with a ladder rack and it ran off." So uhh, no. :)
--
I don't need no arms around me. And I dont need no drugs to calm me. I
have seen the writing on the wall. Don't think I need anything at all.

You don't have license tags? It *is* hit and run. It wouldn't be the first time someone was charged for such.

Is there a point to your questions? You're asking rather dumb ones given the details I did provide...
--
I don't need no arms around me. And I dont need no drugs to calm me. I
have seen the writing on the wall. Don't think I need anything at all.

You provided enough details to find you guilty of "Leaving The Scene...". I wondered if you were charged. You didn't say anything about that "detail".

If someone is shooting a me, you can damn well bet I'm leaving the scene!

...directly for the nearest police station to report the incident. Leaving the scene and hoping they don't catch up to you isn't a good plan. It *is* a felony.

Huh?
I can't imagine any law anywhere that mandates a citizen report a crime, traffic accident, or an invasion of little green men. If you know of such a statute, I'd be greatly enlightened - and surprised - to hear about it.
Please factor into your equation the Fifth Amendment's provision against mandatory self-incrimination.

It *is* illegal to leave the scene. The only hope to stay out of the graybar hotel is to hope no one can track you down or do a mea culpa and demonstrate that you had good reason to scat. Anything in the middle and you're in deep hockey.

Irrelevant.

Point out how? This isn't covered by hindering prosecution which, at least the ones I am familiar with, require some active assistance in a case. Most have some flavor of (1) Harbors or conceals such person; or (2) Warns such person of impending discovery or apprehension, except this does not apply to a warning given in connection with an effort to bring another into compliance with the law; or (3) Provides such person with money, transportation, weapon, disguise or other means to aid him in avoiding discovery or apprehension; or (4) Prevents or obstructs, by means of force, deception or intimidation, anyone from performing an act that might aid in the discovery or apprehension of such person. Obstruction of justice also wouldn't fit this scenario.

In most jurisdictions, the right to remain silent allows ***any person*** questioned by police merely to refuse to answer questions posed by an investigator without giving any reason for doing so. (emphasis mine).

No, but if anyone was injured and you left (even if the accident was the other diver's fault) you probably have some serious problems if the police can find you.

Here are the hit and run laws in almost all 50 states. You can pick your flavor.
http://www.deadlyroads.com/state-laws.html

Nope. There is no state where a civilian has a duty to stop and give aid. Heck , last I looked there were only three states where a medical professional had a legal duty to render aid (outside of the regular scope of their employment of course) and these were so full of holes as to be practically useless. All of the states I looked at the website you suggested (ten before I got bored) stated very specifically what the requirements were of the DRIVER. Besides this is so far outside of the area we were discussing as to be in the Left Field PARKING LOT instead of merely coming out of left field.

None of which require you to talk to the cops and that is WAY outside the discussion of people at the Aurora movie.

I thought the thread had morphed to talking about leaving the scene of an accident when someone ran a car off the road after the driver of the other car had shot at them. I didn't see any exceptions in the law that allowed someone to not only leave the scene, but also not report their part in the altercation.

It did. Some don't like to read before spouting off, though.

Exactly.

Differentiate between the driver and uninvolved witneses. All the laws tht have been quoted are about the perp.
As for 'taking the 5th', yep you don't have to answer _after being sworn_.
Harry K

Not irrelevant. If I caused an accident resulting in loss of life or bodily injury, compelling me to give my side of the story IS a violation of my 5th Amendment rights. Likewise, compelling me to hang around while some dude is shooting at me is, at a minimum, a violation of common sense. In that case, leaving the vicinity would count as an exigent circumstance.
So, to recap. I leave the scene because I'm in fear of my life. I don't report anything because: a) I do not have a legal duty to do so, and b) Doing so would effectively confess to a possible crime.