Let there be Light! (T8 Light that is)

So, I installed the first of three T8 fiuxtures in Mom's kitchen. It wasn't so hard. I found Aluminum wire in the fixture, directly spliced onto copper. This is a no-no, correct?
http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00898ty8.jpg
My junction box, Have to use the NEW NM-B cable in the new fixture. Note the lack of electrical tape.
http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00901js3.jpg
and the inside of the fixtrure before I buttoned it up.
http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00903xp5.jpg
Now... let me know what I have to correct.
On Jul 29, 8:38 pm, snipped-for-privacy@replytotheusenet.com (Edward) wrote:

Are you sure that it was aluminum wire? Could have been copper clad in something else, but who cares, since you replaced it.
Your junction box looks good, except the insulation should have been stripped back closer to the box connectors. Electrical tape is totally unnecessary. Is that box not secured to anything? Didn't look like it was screwed to anything. Your connection in the fixture also needs the Romex insulation stripped back. Can't see where the ground wire is connected, but I am assuming it is ok.
JK
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:58:28 -0000, Big_Jake

It was probably tinned copper.

Yes, it is screwed to a stud.

It isn't... I'll correct tomorrow after I get home from work. Can I use grounding wire?
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:38:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@replytotheusenet.com (Edward) wrote:

It probably wasn't aluminum wire, just tinned copper. Not unusual to see. If you cut a strand and it's copper colored inside, it's copper.
A metal junction box must be grounded, so you need a jumper from the box that ties into the bare ground wires, and they should be wire-nutted together. And, BTW, the box must be mounted to something, and it can't be completely covered up, as in buried inside a wall or ceiling.
Ditto on the fixture; the housing must be tied to the ground. there is usually a green screw provided for this.
HTH,
Paul
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 22:10:56 -0400, Paul Franklin

Gotcha on the grounding. Won't be hard. I have the boc screwed to a stud inside the wall, I didn't take a picture of it. I'll get some grounding wire, I saw some of that at Lowes.

Gotcha I'll take care of that.

Edward wrote:

You don't need to buy grounding wire; if you've got an a piece of the 3-core about 4 inches long or so, just open it up and grab the bare piece. If it's already been used, strip the insulation off a piece of the white or black and use that. As another poster said, there should be a screw in the box itself to attach the ground to, and use a wirenut to connect all the ground wires together.
Yours aye, W. Underhill
--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from

Screwed to a stud inside the wall but still accessible, right? It's a big no-no to "bury a box" in the wall. Please explain.
JK
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:09:37 -0000, Big_Jake

I surely don't want it on my living room wall or ceiling.

So I guess longer wires and moving it to the attic or subfloor?
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:09:37 -0000, Big_Jake

More or less. Its in a big space above the fridge, there must be two cubic yards of space in there. Once I take out the grate the light I just installed shines through, I can reach up there and grab the box.
On Jul 30, 3:30 pm, snipped-for-privacy@somwehre.inthe.usa.net (Edward) wrote:

As long as you can get at it (accessible) it is OK. This may sound stupid, but it must have a cover too.
JK
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:14:24 -0000, Big_Jake

Yes, I can get to it. I may hit my head, but a human can get ti it. The fixture is grounded.
http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00912sk9.jpg
Here is the actual box - secured.
http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00913ok5.jpg
I go to look at the other lights I'm replacing? this is what I find.
http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00914vh4.jpg
http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00915mp5.jpg