Let there be Light! (T8 Light that is)

So, I installed the first of three T8 fiuxtures in Mom's kitchen. It wasn't so hard. I found Aluminum wire in the fixture, directly spliced onto copper. This is a no-no, correct?

My junction box, Have to use the NEW NM-B cable in the new fixture. Note the lack of electrical tape.
and the inside of the fixtrure before I buttoned it up.
Now... let me know what I have to correct.

Reply to
Edward

correct?

tape.http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00901js3.jpg>

up.http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00903xp5.jpg>

Are you sure that it was aluminum wire? Could have been copper clad in something else, but who cares, since you replaced it.

Your junction box looks good, except the insulation should have been stripped back closer to the box connectors. Electrical tape is totally unnecessary. Is that box not secured to anything? Didn't look like it was screwed to anything. Your connection in the fixture also needs the Romex insulation stripped back. Can't see where the ground wire is connected, but I am assuming it is ok.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

It probably wasn't aluminum wire, just tinned copper. Not unusual to see. If you cut a strand and it's copper colored inside, it's copper.

A metal junction box must be grounded, so you need a jumper from the box that ties into the bare ground wires, and they should be wire-nutted together. And, BTW, the box must be mounted to something, and it can't be completely covered up, as in buried inside a wall or ceiling.

Ditto on the fixture; the housing must be tied to the ground. there is usually a green screw provided for this.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Gotcha on the grounding. Won't be hard. I have the boc screwed to a stud inside the wall, I didn't take a picture of it. I'll get some grounding wire, I saw some of that at Lowes.

Gotcha I'll take care of that.

Reply to
Edward

correct?

tape.http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00901js3.jpg>>

up.http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00903xp5.jpg>>

It was probably tinned copper.

Yes, it is screwed to a stud.

It isn't... I'll correct tomorrow after I get home from work. Can I use grounding wire?

Reply to
Edward

You don't need to buy grounding wire; if you've got an a piece of the

3-core about 4 inches long or so, just open it up and grab the bare piece. If it's already been used, strip the insulation off a piece of the white or black and use that. As another poster said, there should be a screw in the box itself to attach the ground to, and use a wirenut to connect all the ground wires together.

Yours aye, W. Underhill

Reply to
William Underhill

Screwed to a stud inside the wall but still accessible, right? It's a big no-no to "bury a box" in the wall. Please explain.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

I surely don't want it on my living room wall or ceiling.

Reply to
valvejob

So I guess longer wires and moving it to the attic or subfloor?

Reply to
valvejob

More or less. Its in a big space above the fridge, there must be two cubic yards of space in there. Once I take out the grate the light I just installed shines through, I can reach up there and grab the box.

Reply to
Edward

As long as you can get at it (accessible) it is OK. This may sound stupid, but it must have a cover too.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Yes, I can get to it. I may hit my head, but a human can get ti it. The fixture is grounded.

Here is the actual box - secured.
I go to look at the other lights I'm replacing? this is what I find.

Edward