Lessons learned installing a torsion spring in a typical residential garage

Page 3 of 3
I found a great video by a garage door professional on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
KaMvcbuDc
I ended up going with http://www.garagedoornation.com/ and it cost me about $125 to fix everything and about 1 hour of my time. Beats paying the local service company $400+
Everyone says it's risky, as long as you follow simple safety protocols, I had no issues at all. It feels like local service companies are the ones making it seem so "scary".
On Friday, December 7, 2012 at 2:31:11 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:

Garage Door Nation is a great resource. This video will help out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
KaMvcbuDc
On Friday, December 7, 2012 at 2:31:11 PM UTC-7, Danny D. wrote:

Thanks Danny, I just replaced broken torsion spring myself, and your guide was very helpful. Only thing I would add is that the cable is the real got cha. I didn't put enough turns on the spring initially, and when the garag e door was raised, cables were unraveled. The other thing is that 18" bar was inadequate for me, and 3 foot bar was better to get enough leverage in winding the springs.