Lessons from Sandy

Page 12 of 13
Yes, with the Jeep lights, you can point them in a direction.
One lantern of mine, I finally half wrapped with aluminum foil. got tired of being blinded when I was near.
They are bluish but don't stare at you like a 360 lantern.
Of course I always have my trusty led flashlight in my pocket in dark times. I also use it when I'm working on things when I need more light.
Greg

http://www.kmart.com:80/northwest-territory-pivot-lantern/p-089W341138110001P?prdNo "&blockNo"&blockType=G22

I should convert one some day to single warm white led module. I can still have two levels. Should be easy. I dismantled a variable brightness 360 lantern thinking I was going o convert. There were so many pieces I think I got frustrated and they are still pieces.
Greg
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 20:34:02 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Are you talking about headlights?
I absolutely HATE those Blue headlights they put on many cars these days. But they are not LED, they are halogen or something else. They are so blinding. Worse than most white ones. Even more annoying is when someone is behind me with those blue headlights. More than once I thought there was a cop behind me, and once I even pulled over, because the idiot with his blue headlights must have had a loose bulb mounting and the light appeared to be flashing. I thought for sure I was being pulled over by a cop.
If I had anything to say about it, I'd ban those things today.
The old incandescent headlights were always satisfactory for me, and they did not blind other drivers (unless they had their brights on). Then came the halogen types, which were brighter, and at times blinded other drivers. Now they have even brighter ones that can completely blind other drivers. I thought that headlights were intended to illuminate the road, not blind other drivers.
Several times on curvy two lane roads I've completely lost all view of the road because some oncoming dickwad with blinding lights has blinded me. All I can do is hit my brakes and hope for the best till the dickwad is past me. And if they are behind me and close, I just pull on the shoulder and let them pass.
I've sent complaints to the D.O.T several times now. Those overly bright lights, especially the blue ones are a hazzard.
Please see if you can get the link to open, it will be very descriptive:
http://www.kmart.com:80/northwest-territory-pivot-lantern/p-089W341138110001P?prdNo "&blockNo"&blockType=G22
Takes threee D cells in the base, and has a reflector that pivots up and down.
On 10/31/2012 7:25 PM, gregz wrote:

http://www.kmart.com:80/northwest-territory-pivot-lantern/p-089W341138110001P?prdNo "&blockNo"&blockType=G22
That's exactly what I have sitting on my desk right now. I found two at a couple of dollar stores about 5 years ago and have been looking for more of them since a drunk broke one of my lights last year. ^_^
TDD
I've seen them in Kmart, in the camping section. For ten bucks, well. I think they are a good value.
wrote in message

http://www.kmart.com:80/northwest-territory-pivot-lantern/p-089W341138110001P?prdNo "&blockNo"&blockType=G22
That's exactly what I have sitting on my desk right now. I found two at a couple of dollar stores about 5 years ago and have been looking for more of them since a drunk broke one of my lights last year. ^_^
TDD
On 10/31/2012 8:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The light uses 3 D cells and will provide many hours of light. ^_^
TDD
On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:56:38 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

We like it; it's light-weight, long-lasting and can be either set on a flat surface or hung from the hook built into the handle. I hung it from the shower curtain rod to shave by in the morning. It's good for general lighting, like going down to the wine cellar for a bottle, but I wouldn't recommend it for reading. My wife used the flourescent lantern for knitting as it gave better light.
Paul
<snip>
I start my generator on the first weekend of every month and run it for about five minutes, just so it doesn't rust. (I changed the oil last weekend, figuring that it might get heavy usage during the storm.) Depending on the season, I'll also start the snow blower or garden tiller at the same time to make sure they're ready for action.
{{{
Run for at least 1/2 to 1 hour under 50% load.

thing * Candles don't put out enough light to be useful. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org

all the time. It got its first use for Sandy and did very well; nice and bright and very convenient.
I will have to think about that. I bought this one a few months ago. Lasts longer on D" cells, but is not rechargeable. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
72 hours of high mode should last many days. The "find me!" blinking LED sounds totally useful. Anyhow, what's your take? Are you pleased with it?
I will have to think about that. I bought this one a few months ago. Lasts longer on D" cells, but is not rechargeable. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 07:23:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Yes, I am, but I've had little experience with real blackout so far. I'm going to order another one though, have an upstairs and downstairs.
If you have your preps all in place and tested, your chances of having a blackout are greatly reduced. That's my finding, and I'm sticking to it.
For Sandy, I charged all my batteries, bought gas for the car, new gas for the generator, remelted some candles that had back wicks, and made sure I had food in the house. All the FEMA approved activities. No power cut.
Yes, I am, but I've had little experience with real blackout so far.
I'm going to order another one though, have an upstairs and downstairs.

In the blackout in the 1960s, us kids couldn't wait to do our homework by candlelight. I remember working on a map of France.
That sounds analog, retro, kewl. Groovy, man! Far out!
In the blackout in the 1960s, us kids couldn't wait to do our homework by candlelight. I remember working on a map of France.
PeterD wrote:

I don't remember it lasting long enough to bother my homework. Where I lived, the power going out wasn't that uncommon. The drill was to stick your head out and see if the neighbors had any lights to make sure it wasn't a personal problem. There weren't any lights in town so my father and I jumped in the car and went out scouting. When we got to a place overlooking the Hudson where you could see Albany, Troy, and all the little areas and it was black we figured it was a pretty wide spread. Other than that, it was business as usual.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
These first came out as "Jeep" lights. I bought one. Of course it's directional, sort of. Point at the ceiling, and it makes a good room light.
LED work in the cold, fluorescents might not.
On 10/31/2012 6:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Amazon lists over 9,000 LED flashlights. Try one of each and report back to us.
I've already started.
wrote in message
Amazon lists over 9,000 LED flashlights. Try one of each and report back to us.
On 10/31/2012 5:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have an older version of that LED floodlight on my desk. I bought 2 of them but a drunk got hold of one and tried to bend the bottom to make the light straight. O_o
TDD