Lessons from Sandy

Well if the laws are put in place before the disaster occurs, people whinge about their rights. Especially in America.

Reply to
harry

innews: snipped-for-privacy@d3g2000vbj.googlegroups.com:

They get painted every year. Most homeowners are not going to do that. We have plenty of steel bridges but they are government boondoggles that employ hundreds of maintenance people ... and they still fall down now and then. In the sub tropics the rust problem is a whole lot worse. Heat speeds up the reaction

It depends on where you are talking about. If you are building under the current coastal code, you end up with a very sturdy house.

Reply to
gfretwell

In the late 80's I was out in The Marshall Islands and I saw some of the Japanese coastal gun emplacements from WWII rusting away. The gun barrels and gears were flaking off layers of rust and crumbling but the only intact pieces of metal were the galvanized sheet metal covers on parts of the guns. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

This is a 4 year old hot dipped galvanized anchor

gfretwell

I saw a lot of corroded metal out in the islands and the galvanized sheet metal that disintegrated was the metal that had its zinc coating damaged or worn off. I've used spray on zinc coatings on parts in cooling towers to add life to them. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

innews:k76ccf$foa$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Works for single family homes, but how are you going to put MURBS on stilts and guarantee the footings won't wash out? One single family house going down is not a disaster. An apartment building loosing it's footing is.

Reply to
clare

There are hundreds if not thousands of condos, up to 20-30 stories high on pilings on the beach in Florida. The joke around here is the condos will hold the beach in "the big one". Most are 10-12' to the first finished floor and open under that.

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@d3g2000vbj.googlegroups.com:

Steel structures here don't get painted every year. The underwater parts never on piers etc. There are paint systems now that are good for thirty years in arduous conditions, more in non arduous conditions.

Reply to
harry

k76ccf$foa$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

.com:

e:

You use steel/concrete piles that are driven/bored in maybe twenty or thirty feet. Piles have been in use for two thousand years,

Reply to
harry

Depending on the soil conditions, most MURBS are already on footings. The only real change would be that the first floor, instead of being apartments or stores or whatever, would be open.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

innews: snipped-for-privacy@d3g2000vbj.googlegroups.com:

Heck, the government always comes along and bans the good stuff because it harms the endangered Three Toed Barking Sea Snail. I seem to remember an anti-fouling paint that worked very well but was outlawed because it worked too well killing anything that tried to attach itself to steel boat hulls and other underwater steel structures. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

****trim excess****

Mankind has has been plagued by piles since the dawn of time. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Till Sandy came along, and rectum.

.

Mankind has has been plagued by piles since the dawn of time. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

innews: snipped-for-privacy@d3g2000vbj.googlegroups.com:

For a man who lives on an island you surly do not know much about salt water.

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't know whether apparently healthy trees are in reality sick, or weakened from the droughts and really wet periods that have alternated here in the last few years. So this oak, laying on the ground didn't look sick to me, but the root system looked rather small. Some people have said that when a tree is healthy and in full leaf, you shouldn't really be able to see sky from below it. The tree between my home and the street (with branches overhanging the wiring) looks like it has half the leaves it should have to me, but the expensive tree guy said it was probably OK, since it has been there with 1/3 to 1/2 its root system under concrete and asphalt since 1929. Oops that looks really old for a pin oak ...

Reply to
Han

FPL would never let a tree grow over a power line. They can't even be close

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Around here people really love the trees. Until they don't anymore. Then, there are regulations that would prevent one from removing a tree, such as the need to get a town permit to do so. In addition, it costs a shitload of money to get a tree cut down and hauled away.

Reply to
Han

I suppose the question is how much does it cost to remove that same tree from your living room. How many people will be impacted by that tree taking out the primary that supplies 4 or 5 blocks? Once you experience those things a few times you get a better perspective about trees.

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just to clarify - the tree would in all likelihood only take out the wires from the pole to my house.

Reply to
Han

Sure, you end up with the Long Island perspective: Nature is in the way. Dynamite it, bulldoze it, and pave it over. It's just too bad we haven't found a way to drain those pesky oceans.

I suppose you could live in a house made of 1/2" steel plate and no windows if you're unwilling to live with both the risks and rewards of the natural world.

I'd not choose to live without trees outside the window, and I'd not go sniveling if that choice bit me in the ass someday. YMMV.

"You may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying." (Open Range)

Reply to
Smitty Two