Lessons from Sandy

Page 11 of 13
harry wrote:

Where do you think a bear in the woods takes care of business?
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/3/2012 2:57 AM, harry wrote:

You Limeys did a pretty good job cleaning up The Thames. Perhaps you could share your superior knowledge with us poor ignorant colonists about keeping our environment in pristine condition and the practice of good personal hygiene? Maybe you could train some dentists for us too? ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 3, 12:53 pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

ber.org...
Most of the cleanup happened spontaneously when certain industries disappeared. Over the last twenty years there has been major improvements/upgrades to sewage treatment plants.
There are still major problems when there is heavy rain, in some areas the surface water and sewage is in common drains
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/4/2012 1:26 AM, harry wrote:

My favorite pollution story:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Canal
I wonder how long the land will remain toxic. I've always said, radiation doesn't scare me because it's easy to detect but toxic chemical pollution is not readily detectable. O_o
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
You consider cat potty containers suited for drinking water? Remind me not to visit.

I got water as above. It's a long walk to the river.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/31/12 8:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Pity you missed: Do not top-post...
--
If Romney wins, he vows to donate his salary to charity. If Obama wins,
he vows to donate yours.
On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:30:36 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Here's a good alternative to candles:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
We bought one of these over a year ago and keep it plugged in and charging up all the time. It got its first use for Sandy and did very well; nice and bright and very convenient. Besides the wall charge, it can also run off 3 AAA bateries or you can charge it up with the generator crank on the side. We're going to get a couple more for the next hurricane.
The only thing I wish I'd done to prepare was to check the drainage system by my wife's greenhouse. It was clogged with leaves so we ended up with a 3" puddle in front of the door; since my boots are 6" that wasn't a problem, just an annoyance.
I start my generator on the first weekend of every month and run it for about five minutes, just so it doesn't rust. (I changed the oil last weekend, figuring that it might get heavy usage during the storm.) Depending on the season, I'll also start the snow blower or garden tiller at the same time to make sure they're ready for action. Paul
Add pictures here
✖
For $36.49, I'd buy two eaches $9.97 fluorescent lantern from Walmart, their house brand "Ozark Trail". Use the rest of the money to buy Raoyvac D batteries.
My experience with LED lanterns, the light pattern is really not very even.
How's yours? Are you pleased with it? Didn't mean to rain on your parade, but my experiences are different.
[...]

I also got the rechargeable batteries for them. The batteries are sealed lead acid and they come with both a 120v and a 12v charger. You can also use 4 D cells. The light seems to be very even to me.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
I also got the rechargeable batteries for them. The batteries are sealed lead acid and they come with both a 120v and a 12v charger. You can also use 4 D cells. The light seems to be very even to me.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
✖

and the rechargeable battery was extra. Walmart has a version, made much cheaper, that just has hi and low settings for about $25. So far I have not needed them, but I will probably get a chance to use them this winter. It also makes the wife happy not to have a flame. I also have a couple of oil lamps, just in case. I am trying to get 12 volt chargers for all of my rechargeable items.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

not very predictable. Ice storms cause our most severe power outages.
Thanks for the advice, but I will be sheltering in place.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

If you have a job that requires that you stay on the beach, they will have a safe place where you will be staying. Usually they evacuate everyone and bring the critical workers back after the storm. If you are really critical, they can't afford you to be dead.
Add pictures here
✖

<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
I hate looking at lanterns. Especially bluish light ones.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖
Fluorescents are yellowish. And, the Dorcy one is close to white light.
I hate looking at lanterns. Especially bluish light ones.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖

The light from these seems to be white for me. I know what you mean by blue LED lights.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

What I have been using for years, camping, working, in the dark, the best thing to have, at least one. Check link. If you don't have one, get one. Candles are good, and make heat, for power outages. I use kerosene for heat in those cases. I now also have gas stove.
http://www.kmart.com:80/northwest-territory-pivot-lantern/p-089W341138110001P?prdNo "&blockNo"&blockType=G22
Greg
Add pictures here
✖
I really like those. I got two off ebay. Then, Kmart got them, cheaper.
Those have the blue LED light you don't like?
I really like mine, they provide useful light. The three D cells last a long time, and provide a stable base.
What I have been using for years, camping, working, in the dark, the best thing to have, at least one. Check link. If you don't have one, get one. Candles are good, and make heat, for power outages. I use kerosene for heat in those cases. I now also have gas stove.
http://www.kmart.com:80/northwest-territory-pivot-lantern/p-089W341138110001P?prdNo "&blockNo"&blockType=G22
Greg
Add pictures here
✖

They are bluish but don't stare at you like a 360 lantern.
Of course I always have my trusty led flashlight in my pocket in dark times. I also use it when I'm working on things when I need more light.
Greg