Lessons from Sandy

Page 1 of 13
For me, they include:
* Run the generator every year * Boredom is a terrible thing * Candles don't put out enough light to be useful.
On 10/31/2012 8:31 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Things you should have already known. Family here learned also that you should not run your generator indoors.
My neighbor who came over for water an outage or two ago was complaining that they could not find any D cells for their portable radio.
Some people never learn.

A inverter is a wonderful thing, just connect to your car battery and let engine idle. for a 100 bucks you can get a thousand watt inverter, for lights, radio and a tv if the load isnt too heavy
Nice thing about the car. You're fairly sure it runs. And you probably have some fuel in the tank. Did the TV have static and such on the picture? Or did it run properly?
A inverter is a wonderful thing, just connect to your car battery and let engine idle. for a 100 bucks you can get a thousand watt inverter, for lights, radio and a tv if the load isnt too heavy
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 09:17:26 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

In fact this was my first generator
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/redneck_power.jpg

This is one circumstance where farmers would be at a distinct advantage. Most probably have plenty of fuel on hand. A PTO driven generator should get them by for some time. I don't suppose there are many plow jockeys in Hoboken, NJ though.

I like it!
Had something similar at the last place i worked. No power out to the barn where we stored the trucks and eq, so I rigged up a piece like this (without the inverter), and strung up 12v bulbs around the place so i could see what i was doing in the early morning hours. (i opened and got the trucks ready to go out)
--
Steve Barker
On Oct 31, 9:17am, "Stormin Mormon"

At the time I had dish satellite TV and cobbled together a light, tv and dish receiver so my then wife could see the amazing race...
today i could power the tivo connected to comcast or use my new flatscreen on my outdoor HDTV antenna.
Cable typically dies when the back up batteries die, although my tivo has a couple hundred hours of recorded shows in stock
You're all good, except for beer and pop tarts.
wrote in message
At the time I had dish satellite TV and cobbled together a light, tv and dish receiver so my then wife could see the amazing race...
today i could power the tivo connected to comcast or use my new flatscreen on my outdoor HDTV antenna.
Cable typically dies when the back up batteries die, although my tivo has a couple hundred hours of recorded shows in stock
On 10/31/2012 7:53 AM, bob haller wrote:

My next door neighbor owns a welding company. When the neighborhood had a sustained power outage, she brought one of her big diesel generators home from the shop and shared it with us. Her house was one of the most badly hit in the storm, and everybody'd run over there first and helped clean things up even before attending to our own problems. Groups handle disasters better than individuals can.
Well, if it's the right group, that is. I've heard on NYC, the groups spent more time looting than repairing.
Nice to hear some good people left in the world.
My next door neighbor owns a welding company. When the neighborhood had a sustained power outage, she brought one of her big diesel generators home from the shop and shared it with us. Her house was one of the most badly hit in the storm, and everybody'd run over there first and helped clean things up even before attending to our own problems. Groups handle disasters better than individuals can.
If you want to stock up on candles, then buy candles made with bees wax instead of paraffin. When bees wax burns, it produces much less soot, and that makes for a healthier indoor environment.
Candles made from bees wax are more expensive, but you don't need them very often.
--
nestork

I've decided to phase out candles. New light sources will include oil lamps, propane lamps, and battery power lamps.
If you want to stock up on candles, then buy candles made with bees wax instead of paraffin. When bees wax burns, it produces much less soot, and that makes for a healthier indoor environment.
Candles made from bees wax are more expensive, but you don't need them very often.
--
nestork

Check out the solar power lawn lamps. Take outside during the day to charge and bring them in at night.
Seen them at Dollar Tree. Why not stick them in the window, so the sunshine charges them?
For a buck, likely to be junk. I've got a solar motion flower that is ammusing.
Check out the solar power lawn lamps. Take outside during the day to charge and bring them in at night.
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 18:20:53 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Have they improved? I bought some and they did not work well at all. Dim light for a couple of hours on a good day.
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 17:47:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I phased out candles decades ago. This time I phased out the oil lamps and replaced them with LED lantern. We also have a few led flashlights.
Never needed any of them this storm, thankfully. A couple of blinks is all we had. Still cannot justify a generator. I'd do as well by setting 1000 $1 bills in the garage and burn them when needed for light and heat.
LED are OK for light, but don't put out much heat. Many power cuts, in winter, and the heat is nice.
I phased out candles decades ago. This time I phased out the oil lamps and replaced them with LED lantern. We also have a few led flashlights.
Never needed any of them this storm, thankfully. A couple of blinks is all we had. Still cannot justify a generator. I'd do as well by setting 1000 $1 bills in the garage and burn them when needed for light and heat.

You know you are full of????

You can almost double the useful light from a candle by putting an aluminum pie pan behind it so the light is directed toward your book or whatever. ( 1 candlepower becomes 2 candlepower in technical terms). Any highly reflective surface will do, of course, but be careful about setting something on fire.
But the total light from a candle is only about 3 lumens. Compare that to a 40 watt standard incandescent light bulb which puts out about 400 lumens.
Tomsic