Lens Fall Out of Wire-Rimmed Glasses

I have metal wire-rimmed glasses that have an oblong shape, and my right lens tends to pop out of the rims. I can easily pop it back in, but in a day or two, it will pop out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix the problem.
Thanks,
JD

2 part epoxy, get the black stuff, its extra strong. Put some all along the lens edge, guaranteed to fix the problem.
You numnuts! Use Silicone II clear so you don't see it. Idiot.
There is only ONE king of AHR and thats ME.
Your Majesty,
Plonk!
--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

in a

can
My friend is an optometrist and said they have a special shim tape to correct that promblem. He also said it happens only with metal frames and plastic lenses. If you had glass lenses it wouldn't happen. It has something to do with the lenses shrinking in the cold weather.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Randd01) wrote:

It does happen with glass lenses, it has happened to me and I cannot use plastic lenses. It has nothing to do with cold weather, the metal shrinks as much as the lens. It has everything to do with a BAD job by the glass maker, the only real cure is a larger lens. The optician would rather give you a cheap shim instead of fixing it right and grinding a new lens.
--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

To Nick Hull: Maybe you should look at this web page. It shows the Coefficient of Thermal Expansion for various material.
http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/oct00/oct00.html
You will see that plastic such as Plexiglass expanse 3 to 6 time that of common metals. So this would act in the opposite in contraction. You may notice a material named Delrin, I have used this material because it can take a high temperature. The only problem is that it expanse like crazy and what you thought was a loss fit at room temperature is a very tight fit when heated up. The problem of the plastic lense falling out because it cold is a real thing. It has happen to me and I have observed how loose the lense was when I placed it back into the frame and it was cold. Then looked at them when it was all warmed up and now it was a tight fit.
I hope I have been able to enrich your life a little.
I had this demonstrated this morning. I went from a warm 72 F inside and went for a walk outside at -12F. Within the first 20 minutes one of the lenses in my wire frame glasses fell out. These lenses have always been quite tight in their metal hoops. Looking at the linear coefficients of expansion, CR-39 (typical plastic ophthalmic lens material) is 81x10**-6, and Aluminum is 12.8x10**-6. Quite a difference. I had already decided on glass lenses for future eyeglasses because of scratch resistance, and this further emphasized the benefits of glass lenses.
RB
gargoyle wrote:

Polycarbonate is preferable to CR-39 since it has a much higher impact resistance and a higher refractive index. AIUI, most optical lenses today are actually polycarbonate.
Polycarbonate has an expansion coefficient of only 3.9 x10^-6.
I doubt many frames are made of aluminum. Most are of alloys of steel, titanium and such. They have coefficients of thermal expansion around half that of aluminum -- 6.5 x10^-6 for steel, 4.9-7.0 x10^-6 for various titanium alloys. You can lool up various brass and other alloys.
So, comparing the material actually used in glasses, the thermal expansion coefficients aren't so different.
If your lenses fall out because of a temperature change - they were made incorrectly. In over forty years of wearing glasses, I've never had a problem with temperature change.
Mike
Take back to dispenser, they screwed up making shape. Seamus J. Wilson

in a

can
I have seen them use shim tape, super glue and silicone glue (Elmer's stix all). I vote for the shim tape because you can kiss the frame goodbye the next time you replace the lenses (from experience). I would also take them back and ask them to fix it properly (so that I could use the frame again). BUt first check if the screw that holds the lense in is tight. If need be, they will applie some liquid locking compound to the screw to keep it from loosening.

in a

can
As others have said shim tape is the way too go. It looks similar to scotch tape.
If your handy, remove the frame screw, allowing the lens to fall out, cut a thin strip of scotch tape and place it on the edge of your lens, replace lens and screw. You may only need to tape across the top to make it fit tight.
Cheers, Jim

in a

can
Thanks for everyone's help. I will try shim tape or visit an optometrist's office.
JD
Don't mention it, thats what I'm here for.
I had a pair of wire rim glasses with oblong lenses and had the same problem as you are having. I only wear glasses for driving, so I put up with it for quite a while. I had the store where I purchased the glasses try to fix the problem a couple of times and tightened the screws more times than I care to think about. Finally the threads on the lense tightening screw got worn out (it was only the lense on one side that ever fell out) and I just simply got a new prescription and new glasses with rounder lenses and no problems now. Des

and my

in, but in a

how I can