lennox heat pump

I have a lennox heat pump and heater unit all electric. A couple of days ago i noticed the indoor unit was making a humming sound. i turned down the thermostat and it stopped when the compressor stopped. I checked the filters and they were dirty but not clogged but I replaced them. just to be on the safe side i backed off the thermostat to get through the holiday. If i let the house cool down to about 65 i can turn the unit on and set the thermostat for 75. the aux heat comes on and will heat to about 70 and the it drops off and the heat pump kicks in. it still heats but after a few minuets the fan stops and the indoor unit just humms. once the compressor shuts off it stops . after a few min the unit will come back on and the whole procession starts over. the fan works fine with aux heat but after a few on the heat pump the humming starts. Please help
Since noone is replying with help..I found this site that may help you out. Copy and paste your post here to this site. It is a Lenox Heat Pump support forum.
http://www.cozyparts.com/lennox-parts/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=4&sortfield=lastpost&sortorder=&whichpage=1
The full model number would be helpful also if you could provide that. I will help you search it out online.
http://www.lennox.com/owners/archived-docs.asp

Not an expert on heat pumps, but this doesn't sound right. Isn't the aux heat supposed to work together with the heat pump, assuming the outside temp isn;t too low? I don't think this is the real problem, but it could be a thermostat settup issue that is costing you money by relying more on aux heat than necessary.

Can you identify what exactly is humming? And is the heat pump providing heat, (without aux heat) or is it not working and just humming?
elite 10 model cb29m-46-1p thanks avid_hiker wrote:

lear60 wrote:

I found what you have is a " Coil Blower Unit ( indoor Evaporator and Blower in same unit ) ; it is NOT a Heat Pump.

1=revision, P=voltage (208/230v 1 phase 60hz)
If you go to the above lennox site you will see a link under product guides/heating and cooling, I believe this might give you some insight and some checks to do on your thermostat, etc.
And from the thermostat settings......what happens when it is set to Cont (continuous)? This will run the fan/blower continuously, which is reccomemded by Lenox. Decribe what the thermostat settings are at the moment, if you can.
Otherwise I am still searching for you. Take care.
http://www.lennox.com/pdfs/manuals/Lennox%20CB29M-CB30M%20Manual.pdf
Service manual / with wiring schematics http://www.hvac-direct.com/pdf_files/installation/504719c.pdf
I believe the tremostat is set incorrectly, or according to schematics..that only one heater element is working or relay/transformer.........if you have a multimeter and can troubleshoot.......these wiring diagrams will be very handy.