Lennox furnace filter

I have a Lennox Furnace. The filter is a huge basket like thing with fiberglass in it. It is supposedly washable. But it's so big I can't put it in the sink. I take it outside and wash it with the hose. Obvoiusly I can't do that in the winter. Besides that the fiberglass keeps coming off. I've replaced the fiberglass but it's a pain in the butt.

Anybody know of any way to modify it so I can use throw away filters? I've asked a couple furnace guys and their response is usually they'll fix is for a couple thousand dollars and throw in a new furnace.

Reply to
Skip

If you have the old "hammock style" filter, you probably DO need a new furnace. I don't think they have made those for 35 years.

Try replacing your return grill with a filter grill. That way you can do away with the old system and use disposable ones...

Reply to
Red Neckerson

"Red Neckerson"

If your old furnace is in good shape, keep it. Hvae a similar situatio. I checked with Lennox and my furnace, at the time of manufacture, was over 80% efficient. In my climate, I'd still only buy 80+, unless I found higher on sale.

The filter is a hassle to replace and you can only get it from Lennox dist (TMK).

I've looked into replacing the return grill (if that's what it's called), also called plenum. Most outfits are not interested, by pricing it accordingly. Suppliers sell a pre-made filter plenum for about $100, maybe just under. This seems like a worthwhile modification, if it fits with min mods and you can DIY or have a friend do it.

Makes sense only if you plan on keeping the furnace for a while. Of course you might be able to reuse the plenum and save, if a new furnace is installed in the future. Again that's theoretical, since most outfits will not give you discount for that, even if it fits.

Rich

Reply to
RichK

"RichK" wrote

You should shut the f*ck up when you don't know what the f*ck you are talking about....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

First of all, fiberglass filter material for those hammock style Lummox's are NOT washable. It comes in a roll. You cut off the length you need. It gets dirty and you throw it away. Then you put some more in. You can get the shit at Johnstone and Grangier and probably a million other places. You can also modify the return duct filter to accept a normal filter rack if you have the space and that particular configuration. Otherwise...........................you have an old clunker. I can replace it for several thousand dollars. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Don't be so mean, Red. "Return grill" IS another name for "plenum"......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

They made them as late as 15 years ago. Still a very old furnace. You can take the retainers off of the filter rack and remove the media for washing and oiling.

Reply to
wicked

The media for Lennox Hammock filters was meant to be replaced. not washed. It was sold in rolls. I haven't bought any for a long time.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch