left hinge door, right hinge storm

Page 2 of 2

On 6/17/2010 9:21 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

What I've learned from sorry experience is that this approach requires people to hold the outer door wide open while reaching to open the inner door. Wind gusts will then snap the outer door to its fullest extension (and a little beyond, sometimes) which is hard on the outer door. Not to mention that a fully-opened outer door means the wind, rain or snow then blasts into the house once the inner door is opened. So having both doors hinged on the same side minimizes exposure to the elements.

I find otherwise. Our front door is "conventional" and you open the outer door, hold it open with your bum while you open the inner door, then let the self closing outer door close behind you when you come in. Going out you open the inner door, open the outer door, reach back for the inner door and pull it closed behind you as you squease out from the self closing outer door.
Our garage door is "bass ackwards" - Coming in, I pull the outer door open enough to get between it and the inner door, open the inner door, let the outer door close behind me, and open the door into the house (swings into the house. Coming out, I leave the house, pull open the inside door, push out through the outer door , pulling the inside door behind me.
__________________________________/_______________________________                     |                  / /                     |O |                    |
As you can see frommy lousy asci art, the outside (left)door opening the other way would be nasty, as would the inside door, which now opens against my air compressor and workbench.

You've received some reasons why *not* to do it, but I'm curious...
Has he shared with you his reasons for changing the current set-up?
Maybe there is something he is aware of that we're not.
The door to my shop in the basement is "opposite-hinged" but there is a reason.
The shop is an extension off of the back of the house, but is only half as wide as original house.
The door is marked by the X.
Yard Yard ------------ Yard X | | | S | | ------------ | | | |----------------------|
(Not to scale)
The interior door opens against the back wall instead of into the shop.
The storm door opens towards the original house instead of into the yard. There's a shed in the corner (S), the storm opens towards that.
Access is easier with that set-up, since both doors are out the normal traffic path, especially when carrying material from the yard into the shop.
On 6/17/2010 9:21 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Although It is not recommended I can see why your husband wants the storm door to swing the wrong way. People approach your front door from the left. If your door was installed properly it would swing into the face of someone coming up the sidewalk. A door opening the wrong way would welcome your guests. Opening the other way would be like the opposite. They would have to walk around the open door. Your husband is a thoughtful man. He' s thinking of others instead of himself in this issue. You might want to hang onto this one. :)
LdB

Well, I do intend to hang onto him; I've already invested a quarter- centry of my life (that's almost half at this point).
Our guests universally use the back door. Pretty much only the pizza guy, door-to-door solicitors, and I use the front. (And I only use the front to interact with the pizza guy and fetch the newspaper.)
I suppose I should resign myself to losing this one.
Who knows? Maybe I'll like his way. He usually is right. I don't know why I bother to argue with him.
Cindy Hamilton
On 6/17/2010 1:49 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Things like the door are of little consequence. There are more important battles to be decided, like what kind of toppings go on the Pizza. There's a little place nearby that makes Pizzas to die for. If my toppings get on her side I could die for it. :)
LdB

Our most used entry door and its screen door are set up with opposite hinges. It could have been same side hinges, but it works fine... probably better. I recently added a new exterior door and storm door to a deck. In this case, opposite hinges was the only practical way to go.
From the exterior, it appears that you would approach the front door from the left side, rather than straight on, so opposite side hinges would work great. Sorry. Besides, husbands are always right.
;-{
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 07:21:42 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

Our back garage entry door is that way - the storm opens out against the wall, while the door opens in away from the entry to the house - wouldn't have it any other way.

For heaven's sake, WHY?? [...]

Don't do it. It's a pain in the ass. It's a *major* nuisance if you have anything in your hands as you're coming in the door -- either you switch hands, or you have to make an awkward reach for the inside doorknob.
It makes it *very* awkward to carry anything big enough to require two people through the door, and definitely limits the size of things that can be carried.
And it's just "wrong". Doors aren't normally set up that way. It's unusual. It's clumsy and awkward. *Nobody* likes it.
On Jun 17, 1:46pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

re: *Nobody* likes it.
Not true. As I described in my reply about my shop door, it would be more inconvenient if the doors were hinged on the same side.
Either the interior door would open into the shop (and right into the traffic path) instead of against the wall, or the storm door would open into the yard (and right into the traffic path).
Comparing the overall convenience based on the actual usage of the doors, this set-up outweighs the bad things that you mentioned in your post.
I don't disagree with the bad things you mentioned, I just disagree with the "*Nobody* likes it" part. I'm quite happy with my set-up.
P.S. My front door and garage entrance are both set up the "right way". ;-)

Absent a compelling reason to do otherwise I would never install one that way for all the small PITA problems already mentioned.
Now having said that I must confess that I have 2 rental house where I have done that for 2 compelling reasons. Tenants and kids never take the time to make sure the door fully closes and the normal wind direction blows them open ripping them off the hinges. By putting the hinges on the predominant wind side I am no longer replacing storm doors on a regular basis.
--
Colbyt

When he tries to move a table or couch through that set up you (and he) will see YOU are correct.WW

Several factors go into making a decision on which way to mount a storm door.
Prevailing winds. If winter winds will blow across and grab the door out of your hand and smash it all to heck that is a really good reason to mount the door backward.
If the handle on the screen door would conflict with the door handle that would be a good reason to mount it backward also.
If none of the above applies then my opinion is that is a real stupid way to hinge a storm door.
--

Roger Shoaf

You said that there are *several* factors (which means "more than 2") then you listed 2 then you said if "none of the above" apply.
I agree that there are *several* factors but I don't agree that those are the only 2 which make it "OK" to hinge the doors on different sides.
Traffic patterns and convenience also enter into the decision, as I've mentioned a couple of times regarding my shop doors. By hinging them on opposite sides, they both open against a solid structure (wall and shed) as opposed to opening into the traffic pattern and forcing users to go around them.

of
the
then
You said that there are *several* factors (which means "more than 2") then you listed 2 then you said if "none of the above" apply.
I agree that there are *several* factors but I don't agree that those are the only 2 which make it "OK" to hinge the doors on different sides.
Traffic patterns and convenience also enter into the decision, as I've mentioned a couple of times regarding my shop doors. By hinging them on opposite sides, they both open against a solid structure (wall and shed) as opposed to opening into the traffic pattern and forcing users to go around them.
OK I will give you credit for another factor that I didn't consider.
Mrs. Hamilton said in a different post something to the effect that in 25 years Mr. Hamilton is usually right. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in calling the left/right method stupid, but in my defense I would tend to agree with Mrs. Hamilton's position that it is incontinent to have to open the door wide to open the storm.
Also I thank you for pointing out that several is properly more than two. I had not been aware of that prior to your pointing it out.
--

Roger Shoaf

I'm only here to help! ;-)

Roger Shoaf wrote:

Incontinent?
Well, yeah, I guess if I were in a hurry to use the loo and had to fiddle with a kludge door arrangement...

Luckily, our front yard is screened by shrubs. I could probably get away with it.
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

you know, posters are always asking for pictures....
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

What do you do with whatever you are holding in your hands, as you go through the door?
You are right, it is a dumb idea. I've seen a few houses (as a kid) where there was no other choice for clearance reasons, and it was always akward.
--
aem sends...