Left handed drill bits in Calgary... or at least Canada???

I've only had need for left-handed bits when I was dissassembling Black and Decker appliances (I ended up with a boatload of broken ones) and there there were small screws, not rusted at all.

With right handed bits, I would start small and keep using bigger ones until I drilled out allmost the whole shank, the head fell off the shank, and the shank was close to falling out the other end. My cheap set of screw extracters didn't have one small enough to go into even the biggest of these little holes, and I don't think a good set comes with one much smaller.

With left handed bits it took much less time. I only had to drill once (which worked out fine since I only had one or maybe two drills smaller than the screw I was working on, and often when I was only 1/3 of the way in, the screw would come out. FTM, there wasn't enough for a screw extractor to bite on at that point.

I have no idea how it would work on big ones for an engine, but he asked the question, so I did my best to answer.

I can't emphasize enough that I think it is important to warm the engine to operating temperature or at least somewhat, regardless of what method is used.

Maybe when it is hot, and hotter still from the spinning bit, that would break down the rust and it would come out. I don't really know the nature of rusted in bolts. Is the rust weaker than solid steel, or does it literally bind the bolt to the hole? It seems like the rust might break down when hot.

Reply to
mm

Interesting, and it makes sense. I'd just never thought about using left handed bits. Thanks

Nonnymus

Reply to
Nonnymus

Thanks. The Amazon looks pretty cheap alright, compared to what else I've seen. The ebay doesn't want to show a picture, but maybe enxt time.

Reply to
mm

I've never had much luck with "Easy Outs". Mostly it was just a case of the bolt being too stubborn to move though.

The big advantage is that the drilling action may loosen up the bolt and make it easier to remove.

Reply to
Noozer

I'll give them a try... Didn't see any last time I was in there, but I was in a bit of a hurry.

I haven't got access to even see the bolt at this point as my view is blocked by the timing belt cover. I was hoping to have all the necessary tools handy before I started. I can spare $20 for a a couple bits, even if it turns out that I don't need them now.

At this point all I know is that the bolt broke off due to sideways stresses and not due to over torquing or corrosion.

I'm going out to the garage shortly to start dismantling this thing... Wish me luck!

Reply to
Noozer

About 10 years ago, I went to HD and Lowes and Ace Hardware, and two other non-chains, and no one had even heard of them. I don't know where I heard of them.

The great hardware store in Dallas is Elliots. I remembered just before I put in Dallas in yp.yahoo.com . That's how memory works. There's one halfway between downtown and Parkland Memorial Hospital, and one in or near Plano, and one other.

And I also remember that I was wrong. They do have an online catalog but didn't have the drill bits in it. I haven't been the store to ask what this means.

Reply to
mm

Harbor Freight, mail order comes to mind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon