Ledger board with board and batten siding?

Hiya!
The deck on my house is a poorly constructed, awful thing that I'm going to replace ASAP, but I'm at a bit of a loss with flashing the ledger board. There's currently no flashing at all (one of the reasons it's coming down soon). Only problem is that it's board and batten siding, which runs vertically, so there's nothing to put the top edge of the flashing under. I considered running a circular saw along the top of it to insert the edge of the flashing, but it seems nonsensical to cut into the siding. Anyone have any thoughts?
-Tim
"Tim and Stephanie" wrote

of
have
Have you considered a free standing deck? Totally eliminates any potential damage from the elements.