Led vs LCD TVs and 720 pixels vs 1080.

Page 7 of 7

Not to worry. You'll have a setting that will make it look good. Some have auto features that will change the picture to 4;3. Others change it somehow that it still looks good, fills the screen, and does not have that ugly stretch. It may crop the top and bottom, but barely noticeable.
I hardly watch anything that is not in HD any more. I changed to cable to DirecTv because my crappy cable company did not offer HD in five of my favorite channels.

Barely noticeable?????
Yeah, cutting off the top of someone's head is "barely noticeable". If you are watching ESPN and there is NO crawler at the bottom of the screen, it's "barely noticeable".
AFA, stretch mode, I don't care what kind of TV you have, it is stretching and distorting the picture, period
I guess a "good look" to you is short and narrow. I'd rather watch a show in it's original format, but hey, that's just me, and a few thousand other people that are purest.

*Short and wide.

I'd guess that you have a crappy setup. My old set was not very good, but my new ones are no problem at all. I don't see that big stretch in auto mode.

Yeah, a Panasonic VIERA Plasma that is only 9 months old is a "crappy setup".....lol
You obviously don't care about a distorted picture, and it looks fine to you. The "stretch modes" haven't changed that much over the past few yrs. Stretched, is stretched, and not natural, period.
Wanna argue the point, lets take it to alt.tv.tech.hdtv and see what they have to say.

Can't argue what you can't see. Come over to my house and look, they we can discuss. Until then you are just blowing hot air.

Make and model number of your TV?

Samsung 32" I'll have to look for the model # later. It is hooked to a DirecTV DVR as that may also be a factor.

Is it possible that what you're looking at really isn't the old 4:3 aspect ratio, ie that channel is now in HD 16:9 ratio? I haven't seen a set yet where the picture isn't distorted to make it fill up the screen. They do have algorithms that stretch some parts more than others, the sides I think, to try to make it less noticeable. But there is only so much you can do and every one I've seen makes people look fat.
wrote

One is the Cooking Channel (not broadcast in HD), it fills the screen but does not have the "fat face" syndrome. On a couple of other channels, it reverts to the 4:3 ratio. I'm not sure if DirecTV or the content provider that has any control over that, or even the circuitry of the DVR box.
Does not matter much to me anyway. I've become a bit of an HD snob. The difference between SD and HD is so significant, I avoid most shows not available in HD these days. I've been watching Great Migrations tonight and was wowed by some of the visual quality and detail of the finest stuff, like blades of grass, animal fur, etc. We've come a long way from the 12" B &W with Milton Berle.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[snip]

I like the increaded spatial resolution, but find other things more inportant. Things like the way the picture is much more stable (not wiggling around all the time like analog video), and better color. One of the first things I saw in HD was a football game, where the grass was green instead of a sick yellow.
BTW, I don't think 3DTV is worthwhile. Maybe if they made it work without the glasses.
--
31 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

I was in a Best Buy store and they had a 3D set playing. Without glasses, it looked like a poor 2D. I did not see any glasses around to try and did not want to get a salesperson and have to listen to them. It is also recommended to limit the time watching the 3D to a couple of hours a day as it can bother the eyes.
I wonder if I'll be able to get prescription 3D glasses in the future. Right now, it is still a novelty, but in a few years . . . . .
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 01:01:31 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"

It's indistinguisable at 720p. <G>