Led vs LCD TVs and 720 pixels vs 1080.

Page 5 of 7

I must have great eyes, but sitting closer is not a bad idea. You really need to be less than 10ft away with 1080p and 50" to apreciate it best. A 50" might be 45" wide across, for 3d 1.4-1.7 x width is best and thats means sitting 6ft away.
Add pictures here
✖

And you have a nice HT system like I do, sitting any closer would completely ruin the sound stage.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 18, 9:41 am, snipped-for-privacy@smallboots.com wrote:

Excuse me, but I thought the OP came here precisely for the reason of asking what other people thought and what their experiences had been. As for being a critical viewer, if you do a bit of googling you will find plenty of actual side by side comparison testing done by credible authorities in the AV world that will agree with what I and Ron and many others have said. Particularly since the OP is talking about a 32" TV, not a 50" one.

Then I guess the OP should set up a blind testing lab, because that's the only way he's going to be able to see if he can actually tell the difference. Somehow I don't think he's gonna do that, nor does he appear to be an AV enthusiast concerned about a small potential difference.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 09:20:44 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Opinions are not facts. That needed to be pointed out.
There is a factual and scientifically supportable difference between 720p and 1080p. The fact that you either can't tell the difference, or don't think it is important, are subjective opinions, not objective facts.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 18, 12:42 pm, snipped-for-privacy@smallboots.com wrote:

OK, post this scientific evidence that says that the human eye can distinguish the difference on the same brand of TV with the only difference being that one is a 720 and the other is a 1080. Using the same source, and from a distance of 10-12 ft on a 50" or smaller screen.
Add pictures here
✖

And I suppose you can hear an audible difference between coat hangers and Monster Cable, right?
Add pictures here
✖

Again, it depends on the viewing distance!!!!!! What is so hard to understand about that?????
Add pictures here
✖

I give up. It's your money.
Add pictures here
✖

Check your tv manual, I have 2, 8 yr old tvs, one takes 720p and the other 1080i, but neither have an hd tuner.
Add pictures here
✖

You don't even OWN an HDTV and you are "debating" this? Hilarious.
Add pictures here
✖

Ron, I understand what you are saying. A 1080p TV can not render the same quality 720p picture as a 720p only, TV can.
Add pictures here
✖

Here's what CNET, which I've always found to be a credible authority on these issues, has to say on the subject:
http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv /
"9. Side by side, how do 720p and 1080p TVs match up in head-to-head tests?
We spend a lot of time looking at a variety of source material on a variety of TVs in our video lab here at CNET's offices in New York. When I wrote my original article over three years ago, many 1080p TVs weren't as sharp as they claimed to be on paper. By that, I mean a lot of older 1080p sets couldn't necessarily display all 2 million-plus pixels in the real world--technically, speaking, they couldn't "resolve" every line of a 1080i or 1080p test pattern.
That's changed in the last few years. Virtually all 1080p sets are now capable of fully resolving 1080i and 1080p material, though not every 1080p TV is created equal. As our resident video guru, Senior Editor David Katzmaier explains in his HDTV resolutions feature, Blu-ray serves up another video format, 1080p/24, and not every TV properly displays 1080p/24. The 24 refers to the true frame rate of film-based content, and displaying it in its native format is supposed to give you a picture exactly as the director intended you to see it (for a full explanation, click here).
Whether you're dealing with 1080p/24 or standard 1080p/60, doesn't alter our overall views about 1080p TVs. We still believe that when you're dealing with TVs 50 inches and smaller, the added resolution has only a very minor impact on picture quality. In our tests, we put 720p (or 768p) sets next to 1080p sets, then feed them both the same source material, whether it's 1080i or 1080p, from the highest-quality Blu-ray player. We typically watch both sets for a while, with eyes darting back and forth between the two, looking for differences in the most-detailed sections, such as hair, textures of fabric, and grassy plains. Bottom line: It's almost always very difficult to see any difference--especially from farther than 8 feet away on a 50-inch TV. "
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 20, 7:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I posted the same article, but it didn't seem to make any difference to some people here. Seems like a lot of people are making the argument for 1080 because they got sucked in and are trying to make themselves feel better because they wasted their money. If you spend enough money on a TV you will see whatever you want to see.
I love to have these "experts" do a blind video test.
Add pictures here
✖

Katzmaier, who is cited, didn't write the CNET article. The article just states that Katzmaier said it and it isn't a direct quote. It's the writer trying to convey what Katzmaier meant. Regardless, if you read the rest of the sentences in context around that one inaccuracy, it's clear what they meant.
I and I'm sure Ron would be happy to see any sources you have that have done actual side by side testing of 720 vs 1080 displays, that say they can see a noticeable difference, particularly on screens around 32", which was size from the original question.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 20, 12:43 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Exactly! He even snipped the article earlier so it would be taken out of context to fit his "argument".

Yep.
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah, and you snipped the part that said it only made a difference if you where sitting closer to the TV, which took the comment out of context.
Whatever, there are PLENTY of other sites on the web that say the SAME thing.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/20/2010 09:18 AM, Ron wrote:

hey, all I know is what I see. I am not trying to justify any purchase to myself because I am happy with both of my TV/monitors (one a Viewsonic 720p and the other a Samsung 1080p) but the difference between the two is quite noticeable and if I could only keep one and had to choose one or the other it would take no time at all to pick the Samsung.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

So would I. Samsung makes arguably the best LCD on the market.
Also, I would say the difference that you are noticing is the fact that the Samsung has a better overall picture, and it's not necessarily the difference in resolution that you are seeing unless you are sitting right on top of them.
Go to a Walmart and look at a Sanyo 1080p and compare it to any other TV in the store regardless of whether not it's a 720 or 1080.
Sanyo's have a washed out picture and are horrible looking.
The same could be said about Westinghouse. Horrible picture.
Add pictures here
✖

*I* can certainly tell the difference between the two small tv/ monitors that I have, one 720p and one 1080p. With the same source (1080i cable box) the difference, to me, is noticeable and somewhat obvious. Diff'rent strokes etc.
Using as a computer monitor, of course, the 1080p one just blows the 720p into the weeds. No comparison whatsoever.
nate
Add pictures here
✖
On 11/18/2010 7:31 AM, N8N wrote:

Well, as said, at the store compare the TVs before you buy. I'm just reporting what people have said after careful testing.
Bill
Add pictures here
✖