Led vs LCD TVs and 720 pixels vs 1080.

Page 4 of 7

You've received great advice.
As you've read, LED is simply backlighting in the LCD TVs. Normal backlighting used fluorescent tubes and had a lower contrast ration. LED offers a brighter screen and higher contrast ration.
With smaller TVs, such as the size you may purchase (32") and smaller, 720 can be fine since the screen is more compact and the human eye can't always pick up the difference. In larger TVs, the 1080 vs. 720 is more noticeable. Many TV programs are still not transmitted in true HD. Many programs, older movies, etc. are compressed to an HD picture, but it's still not true HD and you can tell the difference. Newer movies and shows are slowly coming to true HD. Therefore, purchasing an 1080 will pay off and add longevity to your set.
You may want to consider refresh rate as well. A set with a rate of 60Hz simply means the image refreshes 60 times a second. In some fast moving action such as sports, chances are you'll notice a blur with this rate. A higher rate of 120 or 240Hz will eliminate the blur. In fact, the human eye can't really notice anything faster.
With the price of these TVs dropping drastically, you can find some great sets.

Oops..."ratio"
On 11/17/2010 1:28 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

In regard to 1080 vs 720. The results of several tests I have read about indicate that for TVs less than 40 inches (some say 50) you can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080. Before you buy compare some at the store to make sure, but it is something you should be able to see for yourself.
Bill

___________________________
Just a general point: 720 was the "original" HD standard. Technology evolved at such a rate that it was straight to 1080 within a few years of 720's go-public.
-CC
Bill Gill wrote:

And once you decide on what size and type you gotta have then you can start on the other features offered. Internet ready? Wireless of course, and how many USB ports, HDMI ports, software upgrades, VGA port so you can hook up a computer so you can read your e-mail in 2 inch letters from across the room and stream those videos from the xbox .....which means the computer will need a wireless mouse and keyboard,.... and the sound system,....it's not easy trying to keep up with all this stuff. I use mine with OTA and the TV gets what it gets, 480 720 1080 with a lot of streaming from online, the screen is sometimes full, sometimes there are sidebars, some of the old shows on DTV are spooky they way they zoom the size and clean up the old film or do whatever they do, the people look to life like? Now go forth and help revive the economy.

do you mean 720p and 1080i, yes they are the same, not 1080p, its double the resolution
On 11/18/2010 5:39 AM, ransley wrote:

That's not quite right. p stands for progressive scan, and i stands for interlaced scan. Interlaced scan is when the lines are drawn in an interlaced manner. That is they show one line, and skip a line, then on the next field they skip the lines that were just shown and put in the ones that were skipped. So they show lines 1, 3, 5 ..., then in the next field they show lines 2, 4, 5 ... This is how TV has been done ever since it was new. Progressive means they show all the lines in order 1, 2, 3, 4 ... There is no difference in resolution, you get just the same number of pixels on the screen. There is some difference in how it looks, which is why blue ray is done in progressive. However, the TV takes care of how it is displayed.
Bill

1080p isn't double the resolution of 1080i. Both display exactly the same number of pixels on the screen. The difference is that 1080i displays odd rows in one scan pass, even rows in the next scan pass. If P in fact had twice the resolution, the difference would between the two would be striking. In fact, P is only slightly better.
For our friend considering a 32" TV, I'd say the difference beween 720P and either 1080i or p isn't going to be noticeable on that size display.
On Nov 18, 9:16am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Or on any TV up to 50" depending on how far away you are sitting from the TV.

Many people can't readily tell the difference between a page of text printed at 600 dpi from one printed at 1200 dpi. Other people see a big difference.
Claiming that there is no difference between 720p and 1080p because YOU, or even thousands of people, can't tell the difference, is just foolish talk. Maybe you just can't see as well as other people, or maybe you just aren't as critical a viewer.
A small diffence may be all that matters to people who want that small difference, because they appreciate the slight extra measure of quality.
On Nov 18, 9:41am, snipped-for-privacy@smallboots.com wrote:

Yeah, and all of the reviews I've read agree with me. At best the difference is minimal, and not noticeable with the human eye.

Clearly you are blind. I have a sony 1080p tv. I can easily tell the diffference between a blu ray movie at 1080p and any of the lower resolutions sitting in our family room.
And there is a big difference between i and p. There are many advantages to the progressive scan signal and the only downside is bandwidth. The whole reason finterlaced was invented was to reduce bandwidth. It creates also of byproduct issues that we didn't care about back when the picture sucked anyway.

Oh, so you have a 720p TV sitting right next to your 1080p for comparison while viewing a Blu-ray with the same source material.
You obviously haven't read what I wrote. Try again.

You said;
"I have a 50" Panasonic 720 Plasma. My neighbor has a 50" LG 1080 Plasma. We both sit about 11 ft away from our TVs. There is NO noticeable resolution difference, period. Sounds like you bought the Best Buy sales pitch."
I'm watching the same tv at different resolutions. And at 1080p the picture is clearly better than at 720p.

I know what I said. I'm talking about the SAME source on a 720 vs 1080 TV. I NEVER said that a 1080p wasn't a better source than 720p.........sheesh.

He doesn't understand the difference between the source resolution and the native resolution of the display. Watching 720P on a 1080P display is not the same thing as watching 720P on a display that has a maximum resolution of 720P.

You didn't say anything about the same source. The word source isn't in your comment anywhere.
If the source is 720p and you view it native then obviously it doesn't help any to have a 1080p capable display.

If the source being viewed is 1080p (Blu-ray) on a 50" 720 TV from 10-12 ft away, it's going to look the same as it would on a 50" 1080 TV from 10-12 ft away. It's only going to look better on the 1080 as you move closer to the TV.

You keep telling yourself that while I watch my bluray movies and play my ps3 at 1080p.

I don't have to tell myself anything. It is well documented by many reputable sources all over the web.