LED Lighting for Over Sink?

Hi, the fluorescent strip light over my sink is going and I am thinking it might be a good time experiment with LED lighting. I need enough lumens to light up the sink for washing with no other light on. A dim setting would be nice too. Looking for suggestions on if this is feasible and worth it. Thx, Dan
IMO, led lighting is not there yet. They still haven't been able to create a nice white light, and although they last forever and cost little to operate, they're wicked expensive to buy. At this point I'd use Xenon

Thanks. I was kinda guessing that after reading the supplier websites.
RBM wrote:

I agree. LED lighting is far too cool (white). Xenons have a nice warm tone.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Jim Yanik
jyanik

it
I agree with RBM. There currently are few, if any standards for LED's. Each manufacturer has their own version and interpretation of performance. What you buy today may not be compatible in a few years. I have installed the Xenon a number of times and customers love them.

Xenon lamps for household use are merely a premium kind of incandescent. They are only slightly to somewhat more efficient than decent quality non-xenon incandescents of same wattage, voltage and life expectancy.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

I replaced mine with a bathroom like fixture that uses 4 40 watt bulbs. It takes more energy but only time it is used is for only a few minutes a day. Otherwise I have 2 cfl's in the main kitchen fixture which is on a lot. You have to balance cost with energy savings. No sense putting a lot of money into something expensive or tough to service.
Frank

I do not believe the LPW is any greater than a T8 with electronic ballast, for 15$ get a new unit with a soft white bulb.
ransley wrote:

LEDs do last for a long time, however, white LEDs get their white from added phosphors. They are generally a blue LED with an external coating that glows white. These don't last forever. White LEDs generally give out quicker than a pure LED. I have warm white T8s under my cabinets. That's my preference. I think cool white looks too commercial, but some people like it and, I think you can actually see better with the cool white. The fixtures are mounted in the 1" space on the bottom of the cabinet. I built a 1/4" cover with a cut out for the light, under all the cabinets.

Seems like it would glow yellow, since combined with blue this produces white.
BTW, I have a few "color changing" LED holiday lights. These have both blue and yellow LEDs. When both are on, they look white.

Mark Lloyd