LED flashlight report for home repair

Page 4 of 4
On 10/5/2014 9:20 AM, N8N wrote:

Wish your and my programs would work together. Your text is one line, about five times wider than my screen.
Doesn't speak well for that company, their product doesn't work and they doesn't care.
On 10/5/14, 8:57 AM, N8N wrote:

Third-generation Eneloops are supposed to hold 70% of their charge after 5 years. I don't mean that. I mean service life.
Back around 1998, I bought 4 each of 2 brands of AA NiMH. They were still going strong after 10 years of regular use. In each case, retirement was fatal. If I let a cell sit a year or so, it would probably never be the same: more self-discharge, less capacity, and higher internal resistance.
According to Enloop, the same purity of materials that makes self-discharge low and current capability high, is supposed to reduce corrosion. That suggests a long service life, but I don't remember seeing data to support it.
The li-ion batteries in my two cameras have held up a lot longer than I expected. I suppose one reason is that I don't charge them until I start to use one and I get a warning. If I don't leave them fully charged, I guess they don't deteriorate as fast. The day a camera doesn't power up, I'd have to locate and pay for a new battery. Then I might find out the problem was the charger. Instead, I expect to throw the camera away if the battery doesn't work. AA cells seem more practical to me.
If I needed the most lumens from the smallest possible headlamp, it seems li-ion would be the solution. I'd be tempted to make a compromise and use multiple AA's instead of the smallest light possible.
On 10/3/14, 9:21 AM, N8N wrote:

It's a floodlight with a 120-degree spread.
In typed:

I found this 23-minute YouTube video on the Fenix HL-21:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
8iZTA9GyM .
I am still looking for places to buy them along with right type of batteries and battery charger.
On 9/30/14, 10:46 AM, TomR wrote:

looks as if the HL21 is no longer available. If I had a choice, I'd try the HL22 (the replacement), anyway. It doesn't have as much range, but it has a wider beam. It's not designed for submersion, but I've never submerged my HL21.
When I had switch trouble, I was annoyed that the tail piece wouldn't come off my HL21 so I could clean the switch easily. The HL22 comes with a spare tail piece. Removing it would probably help me get the light dry if I were to drop it in a tub of water.
Because of my good experience with Fenix, I might skip the HL22 and jump up to the HL50.
Amazon prices can change substantially from week to week, kind of like the stock market.
I like a charger that charges each cell independently. I got the LaCrosse BC-700 charger. Amazon's asking price jumps around. I was frustrated at first because inserting a cell was likely to undo the programming of the one I'd just programmed. The trick is to wait perhaps 10 seconds, until the display of the last cell programmed gives one blink.
I have to get my spectacles and turn on a light to read the fine print on the display. The most reliable way to tell if a cell is charged is the rate of temperature rise. Most chargers, including this one, use the rate of voltage drop, instead. Occasionally, this charger can shut off too soon or stay on too long. An infrared thermometer lets me second guess it. If the temperature of a cell keeps going up, it's charged. If it has stayed cool, it's not charged. This charger is supposed to shut off a battery that reaches a critical temperature.
Candlepower forums has discussions on flashlights and chargers. There seemed to be a consensus that the LaCrosse was a good value but Maha had one with a better display, and it was less likely to shut off too soon or too late. I don't see it on sale at Amazon anymore.
On 9/30/14, 6:14 PM, J Burns wrote:

Fenixlighting.com has the specs of current and discontinued lights. With my HL21, the light in an 8-degree cone was 6 times more intense than the light in the surrounding 23-degree cone. The HL22 has similar intensity (range) but a better spread. That would make it better for tasks, indoor use, and finding an item dropped in the grass. It also has a higher color rendition index: 75 instead of 70.
The HL50 has more lumens but much less intensity. It must have a much better spread, like a floodlight. Sounds like a great work light, and the CRI is 75.

recommended a charge rate of C/2. LaCrosse recommended 200ma. That was the default. For a AA Eneloop, that was C/10. That was often too low for the charger to sense when the cell was charged. If you switched it to 500 or 700ma, you'd probably be okay. The charger keeps track of the time and milliamp hours for each cell, so you can see if a cell has been on too long.