LED flashlight (no battery)

Page 1 of 2
Stopped by Costco yesterday and saw a no-battery flashlight. Before Christmas I saw one at Fred Meyer and was going to buy it as a gift for camping trips but by the time I decided to buy it, they were out.
Anyway, it's a yellow thing labeled GEI INC. Has a squeeze handle and a switch, so I had to buy one. The instruction say you get about 3 minutes of light for each 30 seconds of squeezing. Damn it is bright. Probably not much good for wandering around the woods, but useful if the electricity goes out, and I can read by it which is more than I can say for the standard lights in my travel trailer. It must have a small capacity rechargeable battery in it. I squeezed it for about 30 seconds yesterday afternoon, checked how bright it was and turned it on for a few seconds several times during the evening. Still bright this morning and still bright tonight, so it is holding a charge. Cute, useful, and $8.

I guess if you haven't the skills to keep batteries in a flashlight and to keep a spare set somewhere then it might come in handy.
My guess would be that the person incapable of managing a battery operated flashlight would also be incapable of remembering where he stored that windup flashlight.
TCS wrote:

Oh? Children + flashlights = dead batteries every time. (Unless you lock up the flashlights.)

I prefer the rechargable flashlights which hang from an outlet. They can be set to come on by themselves when the power quits, so they can serve as "emergency light", or not.
Only problem are those damn kids again....They never put 'em back into the outlets when they're done with 'em. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
TCS wrote:

It's a novelty! But you didn't read it all. Have you ever read with a flashlight? bright spots, dim spots, it's a mess. This one held about 2 feet from a book fills the page with even illumination, so I will make a holder. And the switch is quiet in comparison to the damn 6 V that clicks loudly and which I use every time I get up to go take a whizz and that's pretty often.
Manage batteries? Yeah I manage batteries, 3 in vehicles, 2 in the trailer, rechargeable in two drills, cameras, toothbrushes and batteries in 6V lamps, flashlights, TV, VCR, DVD, stereo controllers, phones, smoke sensors, CO sensors, tape machines, radios, GPS, 5mile talkers, 2 mile talkers. I've got lots of battery operated stuff and lots of batteries in the refrig and I manage very well. I remember when the only things that had batteries were cars, tractors, and flashlights (maybe 1 or 2 for the father) and the lights were kerosene. Yeah, I manage my batteries very well, seem that you can't manage your flippant mouth tho.

One of the nice things about LED lights is the relatively even illumination compared to small incandescents.
Mike

Are there any LED lights that can do a wide beam? Are there any that you'd actually consider using to light a path at night?
So far, all the ones I've seen have been just toys.
TCS wrote:

Actually there are and it has been discussed at length in some other groups. I think Luxeon has been mentioned but don't know what model. It's all in the reflector and apparently they cost about #30. Costco has a two package that looks good but I have no idea of beam width. You are right, most LED flashlights look rather cheap.

Sure would be nice if there was one that, like the maglites, you could adjust the beam-width.
David
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:33:50 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

There are. Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote in

You can buy drop in replacements for 2 cell AA Maglites that have a 1 W Luxeon LED,very bright. About $30 online,check Ebay. I've heard Costco was selling a pair of 1W Luxeon 2-AA flashlights for the same price,but couldn't find them at my local CC.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Never say something doesn't exist unless you're talking about temporal time sifters. No battery models example: http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview.jhtml?sku=DK013RED Like it says, no battery, no nicads, just a moving magnet through a coil of wire and some circuitry to charge a capacitor to power the LED. Got one in all the cars so I don't have to worry about batteries leaking or not having enough charge.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price

And of course, sharper image would never sell something that doesn't work worth a damn just because it's technology driven.. (hint hint ionic breeze hint hint).
I'd go crazy if I had to shake a flashlight every 20-30 seconds. Frankly I'd rather do 15 minutes at work, get this miracle substance called money, and buy batteries and be able to use a flashlight for 6 hours without having to shake the damn thing every 20-30 seconds.
TCS wrote:

Didn't buy them at sharper image, just happened to be the first page that came up on the search engine. So take your rant elsewhere. Storming said such things didn't exist, I merely took umbrage with his statement.

hours, I'll use the "shaker" to find the generator controls, or the lanterns. Guess I got tired of replacing whole flashlights corroded with leaking batteries - car interiors are not conducive to long term battery storage. YM(OS)MV - Your Mileage (or sanity) May Vary.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
Grandpa Koca wrote:
[...]

I turn the batteries in my car flashlights annually. Take 'em in the house and put 'em in something that takes Ds, then put new ones in the flashlights.
The shaker's not a bad idea, but I'd personally rather just have a good flashlight at hand. A 4-cell Mag Lite fits perfectly in the door pocket of my truck.
--
Bo Williams - snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net
http://hiwaay.net/~williams /

Get a Surefire flashlight that runs on 3v lithium cells;they will last for up to 10 years unused.They are high brightness,too.
CSI and other police shows use them,they make a number of different models.
www.surefire.com.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Well... CSI's computers make card reader noises whenever they "think", beep like something out of a buck rogers movie, and can never display text faster 50 baud. That show goes out of it's way to be as scientifically inaccurate as possible. I love the bit about getting dna results within the minute, almost as good as the frequency that the crime lab workers get into gun fights.

might try http://ccrane.com

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:10:30 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

From: http://www.theledlight.com/ledbulbs.html The Side Emitter EverLED is a solid state flashlight bulb that replaces traditional incandescent PR-flange bulbs in most common flashlights, but do better with the adjustable focus types such as MAGLITE flashlights. The EverLED uses the latest LED technology and an efficient electronic circuit to provide an ordinary flashlight with impact resistant, long life, bright light. Because of the advanced LuxDrive circuitry contained within the housing, this one bulb can be used in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or even 6 cell flashlights made by most any companies, including MAGLITE flashlights. EverLED uses a top quality Luxeon LED Emitter as it's light source! $40.00
When I die, I want to go where dogs go!

Saw them at my Costco (New Rochelle, NY), but seemed to me to not have narrowable/spreadable adjustment.
(Was in that horrible plastic thing it (and seemingly everything else these days) comes in, though, so it might actually have that. But wasn't advertised (on package) as being adjustable.)
David