LED fashlights??

Page 2 of 2
Thanks Don, lots of good info there. This "Dorcy" name has come up a few times. I'll look into it

What's with the flaslights with 32 bulbs in them? Isn't kind of "overkill" or is it some kind of macho thing like "Mine's bigger than your's"?
Go on eBay and do a search on "LED flashlight".......
BTW, I'm trying to find a small one (about the size of a Maglight) that I can wear on my belt. I have one now that came with a clip, but when I get in and out of the truck it falls off.....
The 32 LED is cause each bulb isn't all that bright. I've got some with 12 LED. A 2D old fashioned flash light with a PR2 bulb is brighter.
If you want brighter with LED, look for "Luxeon". I've got a light with a one watt Luxeon. Much brighter than my 12 LED light, and same blue color. However, it draws about 700 mA, and is sure to suck the life out of AA batteries (takes two).
Ebay has a bunch of LED lights that come with belt cases. In my life, the 2AA minimag fits nicely in my pocket. So, I went with the Opalec conversion. Only 3 LED, but good for most things.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Get a Streamlight Strion - rechargable & get a holster - worth it!
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don\'t know and I don\'t care...

12,000 candlepower for 70 minutes ( runtime ) and then you need to recharge it.
If you want something to run all night long, go with LED technology. I have and use both.
Lg
Lawrence Glickman posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Well, it all depends on application doesn't it? Do you want to see or have a long run time? You make your choices.
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don\'t know and I don\'t care...

Yes, that is why I suggest -both- Xenon/Halogen _and_ LED for illumination. When I'm working on the car, nothing is better than the Strion, for looking into the dark spaces. It is small, powerful, renewable/rechargeable. For that, I sacrifice runtime.
At night, you don't need that blinding light for general lighting, so LEDs of the Luxeon family, in 1 Watt, do nicely ( I have a Streamlite Tasklite 3AA ). I also have a Nachia 1.5 watt LED in a 2-C cell River Rock, but it isn't that much brighter than the luxeon. I can wash out the beam of the Luxeon with it, so, it is more powerful, but I don't have rechargable batteries for it, which I do for the Luxeon, so I don't use it except as an emergency spare.
LED has its limitations = less candlepower Xenon/Halogen incandescent has its limitations = less runtime
To solve both problems, have both technologies. It isn't a case of you chose one or the other. Get _both_.
Lg
The one think nobody mentioned is the problem which occurs with halogens when the lamp blackens. I have noticed this especially in the miniMags. The lamp will blacken internally and the light output goes way down. The 1 watt Luxeon will usually beat the pants off of the miniMag maybe with the exception of a brand new lamp.

Yes, you are correct. I have a bunch of miniMags that are going in the trashcan. Not only were the bulbs too expensive, they didn't last very long and as you say, because of the filament vaporizing and covering the inside of the glass, the light output would diminish rapidly.
In fact, in a true Halogen lamp, the halogen molecule attaches to vaporized metal ions and redeposits the vaporized filament atoms on the filament, keeping the glass from *fogging* and the filament lasting longer. That's the way it is supposed to work. Unfortunately for Maglite, they never figured out how to get this working correctly in their mini models.
LEDs typically gives better light distribution; it is more smooth, homogenous. They are certainly more efficient.
Lg
If you want ot mail them here, I'll pay the postage. They are OK for tool boxes and camping kits where the get used now and again.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Interesting site. Thanks for the link.

For another brick-and-mortar retail store, try a camping/backing store like REI. They are sometimes a bit pricey but you can often check out a good selection.
I have a couple of Princeton Tec LED flashlights and also a headlamp. They have proved to be quite durable and bright enough for what I want to do. Several of them have multiple light levels so you can trade off intensity vs. battery life.
If you want high light output LED, go with one of the Luxon bulbs. If you really want lots of light in a small package, look at the Streamlight Scorpion.
Photon had some that take watch batteries, and go on your keyring. I havn't been rough on mine, so it has held up well.
I carry a blue one on my keys, and a red one in my shirt pocket. Red? Well, my color vision is terrible, and it helps me to tell red and green.
After many years of using min mag lights, I got the Opalec conversion www.opalec.com for about $28. Worth every penny. Batteries last longer, and it's adequate for most uses. Opalec is useless for looking down into keyholes (I'm a locksmith, not a burglar). But for most things the 3 LED is OK.
The Luxeon lights, well, they now have a conversion for minimag. I'll buy one someday, but for now the 3 LED is adequate. I got a couple Luxeon lights for my tools, they are much brighter t han LED.
The only time LED is really a major advantage is for a frequent use light. The light that gets thrown in your tool box, don't bother with LED conversion. Filament bulbs are OK for that. though, now the prices are coming down some.
I use a filament bulb light (3D Garrity) for finding adress at night. The LED won't focuss a spot like the old lights. So, if you were out on a search and rescue team, the filament bulb would be good, cause it shines farther.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

If the flashlight has to survive rough treatment and/or be reliable, then I consider these good reasons for LED.
Also, I would avoid cheaper flashlights with the slide switch. I have found that even cheaper push-on-push-off pushbutton flashlights do better.

Try a Dorcy "L.E.D. super 1 watt" that takes 3 D cells! This projects a narrow spot beam, even narrower than that of a "Mag Light".
Its only drawbacks:
a) It is a little large - comparable to a 3-D-cell "Mag Light"
b) It is a little expensive - $30 or $29.whatever at the Target where I bought it - a few bucks more than a 3-D-cell "Mag Light"
c) There is no circuitry nor a resistor that I could find. However, the LED is only moderately overpowered by fresh alkaline D-cells and I expect it to last a few thousand operating hours in any normal use. Also, despite lack of any additional electrical components or circuitry, I expect output to fade more slowly as the batteries weaken than with a 3-D-cell "Mag Light".
d) Focusability can "get stuck" and require brute force to restore - but the package does not even indicate focusability, and when the focusability gets stuck it's normally better focused than a "Mag light" is when best-focused.
Meanwhile, I see a bit of truth to the claim of 300 hour battery life. At 300 hours of running from the same set of batteries, I expect it to still be glowing, and brighter than an idling cigarette. I expect a "Mag Light" to fade that badly in about 1/8 or maybe only 1/10 as much time.
I bought the TerraLUX MiniStar adapter kit for the mini-maglight and am very pleased with it, from http://www.theledlight.com/ledbulbs.html . They are brighter than the origninal lamp and when I had a problem with one (the plastic reflector cracked), the company replaced is very quickly. This uses the 1 watt Luxeon LED. The 2 AA cells last a long time.
RBM wrote:

I found one that is best of bother worlds. Durable, high intensity LEDs for low power consumption and Xenon bulb for 'tactical' use. Its made by streamlight.
http://www.streamlight.com/tasklight_info.htm
And other cool flashlights at http://www.streamlight.com /
I'm not affiliated with them bla bla bla

FOR FUN, Google "flashlight collections". There are hundreds of sites with thousands of flashlights. Have fun.

especially
On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:10:31 -0400, "Craven Morehead"

I've completely stopped using incandescent bult flashlights. I've probably got six LED lights and use them daily. I have one on my belt and a bunch more in my camping gear and car. Great invention, IMHO.
Dan
I got mine from Sams Club, came in a package of two. I was surprised over the intensity---very bright, actually hard to stare at.
RBM wrote:

RBM wrote:

What constitutes a "mini" LED flashlight? I use an Inova X5 that is as bright as most regular flashlights and brighter than most small conventional lights and it also offers something like 20 hours of continuous use on a single set of batteries with a shelf life of at least a decade. My light is classed as a "flood" but they do make "spot" versions -- a broad beam seemed to more generally useful to me given the uses to which I'll put it.
http://www.inovalight.com /
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]