LED bulbs won't turn off in outdoor light/motion sensor base.

I replaced incandescent flood bulbs on outdoor light/motion sensor base and the LED bulbs stay on all the time, day & night. Is it a technology problem? Do I need to put incandescent bulbs back in, or replace the base?

Any chance you kciked the unit into "stay on" mode?
- many have this as an option.
I ran into this with a newly installed unit which stayed lit.
That circuit has a wall mounted switch and.. if you turned it off then back on within a couple of seconds, the lamps remained energized and lit regardless of motion, etc.
To get it back into "motion sensor mode" involved simply turning the wall switch off for 30 or more seconds, then back on.

I am actually glad to hear that someone else has the same problem. I currently have a Philips non-dimmable LED in one of our eleven motion sensor outdoor lights and although it does not come on during the day it frequency does not go off at night once it is turned on by motion. I just went out and flipped it on test and back to shut it off and then walked by and of course it came back on but to my surprise it went off after the programmed 5 or 6 minutes. Because it is not consistent I am going to try exactly the same brand, model, and wattage of bulb (I have a bunch of them) in a few others and see what I get from them...maybe I just have one bad fixture.
IGot2P wrote:

Should try dimmable one too.
On 12/14/2015 09:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I haven't yet used LED bulbs in such a fixture, but I have tried CFLs. It may work properly if you replace only one bulb (one incandescent, the other LED).
--
10 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

I've never seen a motion sensor that works like it should all the time. It dont matter how much you pay for them, none are perfect. Some are better than others though.
Anyhow, it could be there is not enough current being drawn to turn off the light. (Just a guess). If so, you may have to either use LED bulbs that draw more current (higher wattage), or make one of the bulbs an incandescent, the other a LED.
Maybe the dimmable ones will work better, I dont really know. LED is new technology, so there will be issues, and since motion sensors have always been touchy, that just adds to the issues.
Do they make and sell motion sensor fixture INTENDED FOR LEDs? I dont know, I have never looked for them. I got rid of most of my motion sensor fixtures because they seemed to waste more power than without. Seemed that the lights would go off just from a dog or cat, or a wild animal, moving branches, rain/snow, etc. So it seemed they were turning on and off all hours of the night. I only have one left on my barn, but I put a switch on it. When I'm working out there after dark, I turn the switch on and the sensor works when I go near the thing. Before I go in the house at night, I turn it off.
This is not the first time I heard of this problem, including using CFL bulbs.
You could also wire a second fixture to the same sensor, that would be FOUR LED bulbs on one sensor. Maybe that would help????
On 12/15/2015 02:27 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:
[snip]

It's all got to be in PAIRS.
What's wrong with ONE little incandescent light wired to that sensor, as well as the LEDs you want?
--
"The self-assured believer is a greater sinner in the eyes of God than
the troubled disbeliever." [Soren Kierkegaard]

Nonsense. You can use 1 bulb 2 bulbs, or 12 bulbs, as long as you dont exceed the amperage allowed by the sensor and/or the circuit.
The old Flood light bulbs were 100 or 150 watts. So it was not uncommon to run 200 or 300 watts off a sensor. 12 LED bulbs would not likely exceed 300W.

DO IT !!!
When the electric company installed a smart meter my motion detector light sensor stayed on all night. It's only about 4 feet above the meter. I tried putting a can around the motion sensor but that didn't work, then I cut the end out of a metal coffee can and put that over the meter. That worked, the smart meter can still phone home. I have four LED bulbs that run off the motion detector now. I've had incandescents, and HFL but now LEDs it didn't matter they all turned on and off automatically. The neighbor's dog sets the motion detector off but that's OK they are just doing their job of keeping honest people honest.