LED Bulbs Questions

Hello,
Trying to learn about all these new replacement bulb, but sure is confusing.
a. Are all brands, styles, etc. of the new LED bulbs dimmable (assuming you have the right Dimmer switch) ?
b. If not, are the non-dimmable ones cheaper than the ones that are dimmable capable ?
c. Cree are "good" brand ?
Thanks, Bob
On 04/08/2014 12:46 PM, Bob wrote:

LED's require a special dimmer control. If you have one now for your incandescent lights, it will not work.
AFAIK, the dimmer designed for LED's would not require a specific brand.
On 4/8/2014 3:12 PM, philo wrote:

No.

Dunno.

Considered one of the best, AND made in the USA.
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:12:21 PM UTC-4, philo  wrote:

That is pretty much what I thought too. But I've seen LED light spec sheets that show compatibility with a wide array of dimmers, a lot of them not specifically for LED lighting. I think the best answer is you need to check the specs for the particular LED and see exactly what they say.
On 4/8/2014 4:12 PM, philo wrote:

Yes it will. I changed out two incandescent bulbs that were on a dimmer. Put in LEDs and everything works good.

I had my current dimmer switch installed in 2000. I bought home some Cree LED ceiling floods installed them and they dim fine.
Saving energy and long life is great, but the best part is the quality of light I get from the LEDs.
--
Dan Espen

Bob wrote:

Ordinary dimmers work fine with GE, Phillips brand we installed. If you have more than a bulb in a fixture, just make sure they are same one. Otherwise they flicker maybe due to different current draw?
c. Some noticed Cree lamps make faint buzzing. So I did not bother trying them myself. So far I have a dozen LEDs in the house. No issues yet. Had them about 6 months.
<snip>

Many LED are dimmable with ordinary dimmers. That is the only kind I will buy. Just check on the package and it will state if a special dimmer is required.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

circuitry cannot be a "constant current" driver. There are dimmable and non-dimmable designs - and the dimmable ones dim just fine on a standard dimmer. I use Lutrons, myself.
On 04/08/2014 07:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

OK thanks

and have a less than stellar record. I've used Chinese sourced MR16 and GU10, both dimmable and non dimmable. Of about 150 -160 of the 12 volt ones I have installed, I have replaced over 75 over a period of less than 2 years. Of thw 120 volt ones, of which I have 7 installed in one track and 3 others, I have replaced 12 in the last 2 years. These are 3X3 and 4X3 watt assemblies. Bothe driver circuitry and LED failures have been experienced. The LEDs are fastened to aluminum "star" boards but theleds do not contact the heat sink (board) except by the contacts and there is no thermal compound used - which means CRAPPY construction, and heat failures. The driver electronics are "potted" into the base with RTV silicone. My suspicion is they are also failing due to heat stress. Some fail by going to a "flash mode" first, and others just go to a very dull glow.
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:18:00 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

OMG, this is why I've been reluctant to buy LED's. Given where they were priced and my experience with CFL's, I wasn't going to pay $30 to find out if they lasted anywhere near the claimed life. That must have been a very expensive experience.

dimmer, and they dim nicely, but they DO buzz. It bothers my daughter, my wife says she hears it when they are dimmed - I only hear it if I really listen for it.

No.

Perhaps.

Yep.

Greg
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 20:18:00 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I find it interesting that my personal experience has been very different. I started buying CREE bulbs a few years ago when the reasonably priced pleasant color temperature bulbs appeared at Home Depot. I haven't had a single failure. (They are all 120V). I also replaced all the candelabra base bulbs (also 120V) in our condo association's outdoor pole lamps with LEDs (40 of them) about 5 years ago and have had no failures. (Those were Philips, not CREE). Prior to the switchover, I had to make a weekly tour of the grounds to replace incandescent bulbs. That was a pleasant thing to do in spring and fall, but not so much in winter (snow and cold) and summer (mosquitos). I expected a low failure rate, but there hasn't been a single failure.
Pat

but the LED is only a small part of the bulb. Just because it is advertised as a CREE lamp (and actually contains CREE LEDs) does not make it a good one.
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:46:07 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:

No, and not even all bulbs from the same manufacturer.

Often.

Yes, although if you can find them, I would try to search out the "true whi te" ones as they have a higher CRI than the ~80 CRI of the usual ones sold at Big Orange. I'm kind of a light quality snob, and really hope that LED development goes more towards high quality light than did CFLs which I foun d fairly disappointing overall.
nate