LED bulbs

Page 2 of 2
On 8/12/2014 10:12 AM, Pete C. wrote:

I've had to replace several CFL's. It's always been the driver electronics that smoked. LED drivers have lower output voltages, but the input side has much the same vulnerability. 25,000 hour LED life is meaningless if a power glitch can take out the driver. Time will tell.
mike wrote:

Heat is the enemy. When venting around fixture is poor CFL always fails premature. Yes, electronics failure. So far none of LED bulbs failed in my place going on almost a year. I expected ones on the GDO in the garage would go first(vibration) but they are still working yet.
On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:12:53 PM UTC-4, Pete C. wrote:

e CRI is only about 80ish or so. If you live in CA you should be able to g et a "true white" version with a 90+ CRI.

e" halogens maybe a little cooler but you'll never see an incan of any type significantly higher than 3000K. That's easily achievable with LED (in fa ct high color temp LEDs are more common than "warm white" ones.)

white but they are a truly good replacement for a 60W incan. ~900 lumens I IRC.

If they last long enough to recover the upfront $$$. From what I've seen with the claims made on CFL versus how long they really last, and how fast other crap consumer stuff fails these days, I'm not going to be the one to find out.

I have not had any problems with CFL's interfering with the radio, but they usually have an electronics failure long before the tube goes bad.
When I started using the LED bulbs, radio interference with Two Meter Ham Radio became a serious problem. Dimmable bulbs seem to be much worse than non-dimmable.
I installed a 60 Watt equivalent LED bulb in a staircase where it is hard to access the fixture. That fixture's wiring happens to make a good antenna, so I had to try several bulbs to find one that did not interfere. That bulb is a Phillips non-dimmable. Another that had only a slight amount of interference, was a cheap WalMart soft white non-dimmable.
Fred
mike wrote:

I've got about 2.5 years on the LEDs here in daily use and no failures yet (LG 7.5W LED lamps). Plenty of thunderstorms and power hits in those years as well.
Well, I just found out that my local Home Depot sells LED bulbs with a candelabra base. They're only 25 watt equivalent (compared to the 40 Watt incandescent we have now), but they're dimmable. But, they cost $17 $Cdn each, and that's pretty pricey if I have to buy 6 of them.
The guy at Home Depot says that the package says "dimmable" on it, but that I may have to replace the dimmer switch anyhow because old dimmer switches might not work with the relatively new LED bulbs.
But, he also said that Home Depot here in Winnipeg has only been carrying LED bulbs for the past 4 months or so, and he's seen a steady decline in the price of LED bulbs over that time. Every month or two there's a drop in the price of the bulbs they're getting in of about $2 on a formerly $20 bulb.
He also said that 60 watt equivalent LED bulbs with the medium Edison base were down to $12 each now, and given their long life, it might make sense for me to replace the CFL bulbs in my hallways with LED bulbs. I wouldn't replace them all at once, I'll just start buying spare LED bulbs to replace the CFL bulbs I have now. He also said they have a 100 Watt equivalent LED bulb, but it costs $27, and that's still a bit too pricey for me.
--
nestork

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 01:43:33 +0200, nestork

Just relamped a large chandelier at the office.I sold them for $9 each and still made a small profit. Imported them myself from China.. Needing 42 I had to buy 50. Dim fine on a Lutron dimmer. (but only to about half bright - the dimmer can't reduce the output any farther)
Percival P. Cassidy;3271198 Wrote: >

> Lutron LED-compatible dimmers for both rooms.

Can you post which Lutron dimmer you purchased and whether or not it worked properly with LED bulbs. If I'm going to have to replace a dimmer switch, I might as well get one that I know works.
I know the dimmer I bought for my mom's dining room chandelier barely fit in the electrical box. Are the new dimmers smaller?
--
nestork

On 08/13/14 09:16 am, nestork wrote:

Haven't bought them yet because nobody keeps in stock the color I want (Ivory must be out of fashion now, but that's what I want to match the existing switches and outlets), but what I am looking at is the Lutron Maestro C.L.* These are programmable for minimum and maximum light level, fade-to-off delay, and... (I forget the other options). They are large (I've seen other colors in the store) and would be a tight fit in a single-gang box, but I assume that they must be NEC compliant. About $30. The Diva models look similar and are a little cheaper, but I don't think they are as programmable.
*MACL-153M-xx (where xx is the color code).
Perce
On 08/13/14 09:16 am, nestork wrote:

I now have Lutron Maestro dimmers installed for both the dining room (four Feit BR30 LED bulbs) and the living room (eight Feit BR30 LED bulbs). Haven't really had the living room ones on for more than a minute or two, but one or more of the dining room ones -- one at a time -- will change brightness from time to time. (These specific Feit bulbs are listed as compatible with that Lutron dimmer on the Lutron Web site.)
Perce

I've had the Maestro's installed for over 10 years, and I'm currently using one of them with all LED bulbs (PAR-30's, for the most part).
Works fine.
One should treat the switches gently, a soft tap is sufficient to activate the switch. Hard taps can break internal plastic bits that disable the main switch (fortunately, when this happened, I called Lutron and they sent me two new units gratis).
They're available in 30 colors (including ivory) on amazon for $28.75 each.
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 15:16:40 +0200, nestork

way) units in use with LEDs They are incandescent/Halogen rated preset dimmers.
On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:44:52 -0400, Frank

This^. I put them in places that are a PITA to get to or are enclosed fixtures that build up heat where incandescent bulbs don't last.