LED Bulb cost

Page 1 of 2
I just bought a 5 pack of 9 led flashlights for $5. I looked at a 60W equivalent light bulb and it was $15. Why is there such a difference in price between LED flashlights and light bulbs?

The LEDs are cheap and the LEDs are expensive.
Bulbs must also dissipate heat.
Greg
On 11/07/2012 09:25 AM, jon van duinen wrote:

> equivalent light bulb and it was $15. Why is there such a difference > in price between LED flashlights and light bulbs?

Your answer is given by the reason that you didn't list the power output of the flashlights.
Jon
On 11/7/2012 11:25 AM, jon van duinen wrote:

equivalent light bulb and it was $15. Why is there such a difference in price between LED flashlights and light bulbs?
What is the lumen output of 9 flashlights versus an equivalent 60W light bulb.
On 11/7/2012 1:08 PM, bud-- wrote:

I'm not buying any more led devices without a lumens quote. I've got a 21 led lantern you cannot even read by. OTOH I have a couple of led flashlights with single 3 watt Cree led's with over 150 lumen output. Flashlights are good enough outside but 60 watt bulbs put out ~850 lumens.
Good idea. I've also bought some 110 volt "corn cob" bulbs that were too dim to be useful.
I got a couple "5 watt" LED lights off Ebay that draw 2 watts of electric.
I'm not buying any more led devices without a lumens quote. I've got a 21 led lantern you cannot even read by. OTOH I have a couple of led flashlights with single 3 watt Cree led's with over 150 lumen output. Flashlights are good enough outside but 60 watt bulbs put out ~850 lumens.

Got to watch out for three things. Lumens, lux, color temp. Lumens is total light output, no matter how spread out it is. A flashlight in a one foot spot, is going to be high lux in that spot. A 100 lumens spot is much brighter than a 60 watt led lamp, within the spot area. I never buy LEDs unless color temp is specified.
Greg
On 11/7/2012 7:50 PM, gregz wrote:

Yes, but all you will see will be lumens on specs. For example,"Old Brooklyn Lantern" advertised on TV says zilch about output even at their website.

All the old spots gave candle power.
Greg

I always get these thing screwed up..
http://www.theledlight.com/lumens.html
Greg
On 11/07/2012 06:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Here's a MagLite flashlight that puts out 320 lumens:
http://www.maglite.com/maglite_magtac_crowned_bezel_LED.asp
With expensive lithium batteries.
Still, if you really need it, the battery cost is not an issue.
Here's a MagLite flashlight that puts out 320 lumens:
http://www.maglite.com/maglite_magtac_crowned_bezel_LED.asp
Attribution corrected. If you have a quote? You didn't write that!

Here's a MagLite flashlight that puts out 320 lumens:
http://www.maglite.com/maglite_magtac_crowned_bezel_LED.asp

Exactly right. Lumens are the right way to do light output comparisons.
Tomsic
On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 13:42:34 -0500, Frank

It's not just the brightness difference of the bulbs, but also the associated electronics. A flashlight is just LEDs and a few resistors. A 120v bulb has electronics that have to convert 120 volts AC to a regulated low voltage DC. This adds to the price. However, I do agree that the LED light bulbs for the home are still overpriced. They will come down in a year or two, the same way the CFL bulbs did. Anything new on the market is always overpriced. Look at the first HDTV prices compared to what they are today. And I recall when making a cellphone call cost over a dollar per minute in the early days.
On 11/8/2012 1:33 AM, snipped-for-privacy@easy.com wrote:

Many LED flashlights, (torches to Brits) have some fairly sophisticated electronics between the LED and the battery. It's usually a small IC chip in even the least expensive ones to regulate voltage or boost it in LED flashlights that have a single 1.5 volt battery. The LED replacement modules for standard flashlight bulbs have the electronics inside the case which is basically the same size as an incandescent lamp housing. My little cheap key chain LED lights have an LED and a single 3 volt lithium battery, my more expensive LED key chain lights have an electronic circuit between the battery and LED. The LED flashlights that may only use a resister to regulate voltage are those with three 1.5volt batteries. ^_^
http://www.bcae1.com/flashlight/flashlight01.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashlight#LED
TDD
I haven't bought any LED bulbs but I do have a bunch of LED flashlights, and I'd say another factor is making sure that the light output of the bulbs has to be somewhat evened out- if you shine a flashlight on the floor you get a weird (not evenly round) pattern. That's okay for a flashlight, not so okay if you're reading and one part of the page is brighter than the rest of it.
I like fluorescent lights for reading.
I haven't bought any LED bulbs but I do have a bunch of LED flashlights, and I'd say another factor is making sure that the light output of the bulbs has to be somewhat evened out- if you shine a flashlight on the floor you get a weird (not evenly round) pattern. That's okay for a flashlight, not so okay if you're reading and one part of the page is brighter than the rest of it.
On Thu, 8 Nov 2012 06:40:12 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@brainchampagne.com wrote:

One question that I have is this: Do the LED lightbulbs still have that blueish tint that the flashlights have?
I know that pure white LEDs exist, but I hear they are very costly compared to the blueish ones. I have not bought any LED house bulbs yet.
By the way, I noticed that the police lights on newer squad cars are now LED. In fact I think they are brighter than the old ones. Our local PD just bought some new squads with them. I noticed it the other night when a cop pulled someone over. After he was done, he was on his way to the donut shop. That's when I asked him how he likes those lights. He said "they're better than the old ones". He said they are quite a bit more costly, but they should never need bulbs replaced.

They dont tend to cost more, but the rated lumens is less. Color temp 2700-3000 is a warm white. Brighter LEDs have tended to be bluish, especially smaller sizes. To push lumens they compromise, especially flashlights.
Greg

I notice the front turn signal lights on newer Chevys not brought enough.
Greg