LED bulb

Page 1 of 2
I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about ten times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it comes on instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.
---MIKE---

>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/4/2011 12:19 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:

:-)
:-(
:-)
Add pictures here
✖
---MIKE--- wrote:

What did it cost, $50.00?
--
If your doctor isn't taking new patients,
he ain't curing any of them.
---MIKE--- wrote the following:

Did you have a question? My house is loaded with CFLs. From desk lamps to living room lamps, to ceiling fixtures, to outside lamps. I started years ago when they first became available. The first ones were huge and I only used them as utility lamps in closets, basement stairwells, the attic, and the garage.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

He has an LED lamp, not CFL, and is thereby protected from mercury poisoning.
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

What's your estimate of the amount of mercury that leaks out of a CFL in a decade?
Add pictures here
✖
mike wrote the following:

I, and many others of my age, have played with mercury as a kid in the 1940s. Rub it on a coin and it shined it up. I'm not sure, but we might have even tasted it. I remember busting the long florescent bulbs. There is nothing wrong with me now. Will someone answer that telephone??
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

It apparently prevented autism..Autism has really come on strong since they started worrying about Mercury poisoning<G>.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 4 May 2011 18:56:37 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

The word MORON came from the word "Mormon". The extra "M" is for the word MAD, or Mad Moron = Mormon.
Add pictures here
✖

Me too. Many times. I think that my first few Gilbert chemistry sets even contained a small vial of mercury. I also played closely with a "nuclear energy" set as a young teenager that included several sources of alpha, beta, and gamma emitters. I also probably fried my feet to a crisp in the shoe store fluoroscopes in the early 1950s.
I'm in my mid-60s with no evidence of radiation damage or mercury poisioning.
This is not to say that mercury and ionizing radiation are not dangerous, or that what we did is safe. But it seems that the current hyperventilation over avoiding mercury levels that are only a small fraction of what we experienced might be an over-reaction.
Add pictures here
✖

Not only that, but the increased power consumption of regular incandescents over the consumption of CFLs causes the coal-burning power station to emit more mercury.
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote the following:

Ooops. My brain has been affected by mercury poisoning.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On May 4, 12:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

Is the brightness really equivalent to a 40W incandescent? I am skeptical of that from the samples I have seen on display.
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/4/2011 2:01 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Googled this up at HD:
http://tinyurl.com/4xx897u
Starting to look interesting but my expiration date is about the same as the op's ;)
Add pictures here
✖

Interesting that the stated power consumption for this bulb is actually HIGHER that for a 40W equivalent CFL...
A lot of light being wasted in a filter to improve the color?
Add pictures here
✖
On 05/04/2011 03:55 PM, Larry Fishel wrote:

Even so, "easily dimmable" is HUGE. In a year or so I might buy some once some reports come back from the field.
I see the reviews mention FM interference, which I have also noticed with CFLs. Not really ideal...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 5/4/2011 3:55 PM, Larry Fishel wrote:

I was wondering about that but had not looked up the comparison. I don't know a lot about electronics but do know that LED's need direct current so part of the extra energy may be in the AC/DC conversion.
I would worry about the color too. I had bought a couple of CFL's that put out such white light that I could not use them indoors and had to consign them to the front porch.
Add pictures here
✖
On 05/04/2011 07:50 PM, Frank wrote:

Good news is I understand that new labels are being phased in which will explicitly state color temp so once you find a color temp you like you can stick with it.
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2010/06/lightbulbs.shtm
Bad news is it does not require CRI but I have been able to find that info for major brands at least online if not on the packaging. Unfortunately many CFLs still have crappy CRI...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
✖

CFL lamps also require dc, they rectify the AC powerline ti dc, and then run a high-frequency dc - ac converter tolight the lamp tube itself. There is a large step-up in voltage needed to strike the initial arc thru the tube, and the reduction in mercury reduces trhe pressure in the tube until it heats up a little. Regular tubular fluorescents contain appreciably more mercury than the cfl's do because the arc lengthis mujch longer and the diameter of the tube is much larger.
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/4/2011 11:48 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Did not know that. I do recall someone posting a diagram or picture of internal electronics for a cfl and there was a lot of stuff in there. Surprising that they can make them so cheap.
Add pictures here
✖