LED bulb

I bought an LED bulb today for my frequently used reading lamp. It's rated at equivalent to 40 watts and to last 46 years. That's about ten times what I am likely to last. The brightness is good and it comes on instantly. It can also be used with a dimmer.

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

:-)

:-(

:-)

Reply to
JimT

What did it cost, $50.00?

Reply to
LSMFT

---MIKE--- wrote the following:

Did you have a question? My house is loaded with CFLs. From desk lamps to living room lamps, to ceiling fixtures, to outside lamps. I started years ago when they first became available. The first ones were huge and I only used them as utility lamps in closets, basement stairwells, the attic, and the garage.

Reply to
willshak

New Hampshire

Is the brightness really equivalent to a 40W incandescent? I am skeptical of that from the samples I have seen on display.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Googled this up at HD:

Starting to look interesting but my expiration date is about the same as the op's ;)

Reply to
Frank

He has an LED lamp, not CFL, and is thereby protected from mercury poisoning.

Reply to
HeyBub

What's your estimate of the amount of mercury that leaks out of a CFL in a decade?

Reply to
mike

Interesting that the stated power consumption for this bulb is actually HIGHER that for a 40W equivalent CFL...

A lot of light being wasted in a filter to improve the color?

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Hmm, Few of them burnt out on me after couple years. Just like CFLs. Lasting 46 years is a myth to me.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Ooops. My brain has been affected by mercury poisoning.

Reply to
willshak

I, and many others of my age, have played with mercury as a kid in the

1940s. Rub it on a coin and it shined it up. I'm not sure, but we might have even tasted it. I remember busting the long florescent bulbs. There is nothing wrong with me now. Will someone answer that telephone??
Reply to
willshak

It apparently prevented autism..Autism has really come on strong since they started worrying about Mercury poisoning.

Reply to
hrhofmann

The word MORON came from the word "Mormon". The extra "M" is for the word MAD, or Mad Moron = Mormon.

Reply to
JesusBalls

Even so, "easily dimmable" is HUGE. In a year or so I might buy some once some reports come back from the field.

I see the reviews mention FM interference, which I have also noticed with CFLs. Not really ideal...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I was wondering about that but had not looked up the comparison. I don't know a lot about electronics but do know that LED's need direct current so part of the extra energy may be in the AC/DC conversion.

I would worry about the color too. I had bought a couple of CFL's that put out such white light that I could not use them indoors and had to consign them to the front porch.

Reply to
Frank

Good news is I understand that new labels are being phased in which will explicitly state color temp so once you find a color temp you like you can stick with it.

Bad news is it does not require CRI but I have been able to find that info for major brands at least online if not on the packaging. Unfortunately many CFLs still have crappy CRI...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

CFL lamps also require dc, they rectify the AC powerline ti dc, and then run a high-frequency dc - ac converter tolight the lamp tube itself. There is a large step-up in voltage needed to strike the initial arc thru the tube, and the reduction in mercury reduces trhe pressure in the tube until it heats up a little. Regular tubular fluorescents contain appreciably more mercury than the cfl's do because the arc lengthis mujch longer and the diameter of the tube is much larger.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Did not know that. I do recall someone posting a diagram or picture of internal electronics for a cfl and there was a lot of stuff in there. Surprising that they can make them so cheap.

Reply to
Frank

Frank wrote in news:ipu43o$g07$1@dont- email.me:

mercury is what provides the initial ions for current to flow across the tube. it helps establish the arc.

I took apart a CFL and it only had two transistors,a tiny transformer,a couple of electrolytic caps,2 diodes and some chip caps. It rectifies and DOUBLES the input voltage,then converts to HF AC.

Reply to
Jim Yanik