Leaving one's gas delivery company (in a planned development)

Page 2 of 2
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Leaving-one-s-gas-delivery-company-in-a-planned-development-604253-.htm DA wrote: chaniarts wrote:

Thanks, chaniarts.
I looked at my yearly usage and last year I used 762 gallons (heating and hot water only - cooking is electric) which is almost the 800 gallon max that they can fill 1000 gallon tank at. I guess, I could possibly do a once-a-year fill up, too.
I also got some figures to go by: the current gas company wants $5,000 for the tank (4 years old). They are selling LPG at $3.2/Gallon which is approx. $0.60/Gallon higher than average (11/15/2010 residential propane data from http://www.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/hopu/hopu.asp ). So, I guess, assuming I can find someone selling at the average price, the $5000 tank will get me even after 8333 gallons or 11 years of usage, just about.
I guess, having someone else take the tank over looks like an attractive option given the $5000 price tag but that puts me very much back to were I am right now - dependent on a single company's pricing.
Does a 4 y.o. 1000 gallon buried tank really cost $5000?
------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV
DA wrote:

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Leaving-one-s-gas-delivery-company-in-a-planned-development-604253-.htm
what about just abandoning it in place and getting a new one installed? call up someone and ask how much a new tank installed would cost. iirc my tank was about 2k installed+permitting/inspection fees.
my last fill in june this year was at 2.15/gal but that was because it was a new company in the area and it was the first time i used them. they had an initial inspection fee ($40) but waived it because i was getting a fill. they found a couple loose screws on the guage and fixed everything for free to.
i try to buy in times where there isn't heavy demand, since i fill it so infrequently, so am not on a monthly top-up schedule. my neighbor is on one of those schedules, and pays significantly more per year since he's locked into a specific delivery company (which also owns his tank like your situation).
chaniarts wrote:

added note: usage is highly dependent upon location. my house is gas heat/water/dryer/2 fireplaces, but i haven't turned on my heat yet. i probably won't until xmas, if then.
my herd of 7 cats keeps us plenty warm at night. :)
regards, charlie phx, az

I really like that idea. Tell them if they want it they can come and take it and the new company just puts in a new tank. That should give you some leverage over the old company.
(chaniarts) writes:
| i own my 500 gallon buried tank. i get a quote from 5 different places | before filling it about once/year. some didn't have any inspection before | first delivery, some did. none have asked to reinspect.
For the ones that did an inspection, was it of the tank only or did they go through your house and check all the appliances and piping?
Dan Lanciani wrote:

it's an underground tank, so no, they didn't see any of the tank except what's under the part of the riser that's aboveground.
they put gauges on the tank and on the line, testing that there were no leaks in either the tank feed to the house, or in the house lines (once all the pilots were off). they also used a lot of soapy water on the line that penetrated the tank and the guage.
since there were no leaks on any line or appliance, except a small one in the fill gauge itself, i don't know what they would have done if there were.