Leaving Battery In Charger Long Term?

Page 2 of 2

DerbyDad03 wrote:

There is a LED on the charger that goes off

How did you reach that conclusion? I've seen MANY chargers with lights that go off that are DUMB chargers. A typical older, that's all I ever get, garden appliance or tool has a thermal cutout that opens when the battery gets HOT. the charger remembers that it happened. Ignoring all the bad stuff about that...I've had several occasions where the battery was ruined when the power glitched and the charger "forgot" and decided to fast charge a fully charged battery until it got hot enough to open the cutout. Unfortunately, it vented first.

re:
Me: "so it must be a Smart Charger, right?
You: "How did you reach that conclusion?"
Didja notice the question mark after "right"?
It wasn't so much a conclusion as an assumption that I wanted verified - thus the question mark.

B&D has a history of telling everyone that keeping tools in chargers wont hurt batteries, start back with the dustbuster that always kept charging the battery, and all died quickly. You have to test the batterys condition to know if it stops charging, one indication it doesnt is if it keeps the battery warm but a voltmeter is better, if each 1.2v cell is kept peaked at 1.3-1.35v then its cooking the batteries to an early death. I dont trust chargers until I test them, Voltage peaking chargers are the most accurate but temperature is also used and those sensors can be wrong. My Ryobi charger is not top line it over charges, my old makita and sony do not. To be safe I would not keep a battery in any charger as well the charger will be a constant cost if left plugged in. Id say test voltage and temp but unplug to be safe and save electricity. Tool companies make more money by selling you a new battery every 3-4 years, but by taking care of my packs I have 15-18 yr old Makita packs that can still run some screws. This "leave in the charger its ok" statement is risky and I feel its wrong
DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you are not using something, put it away. You don't have to follow their recommendations. Leave it in the charger if you prefer. They just wouldn't want your battery charger on if you got sick and went to the nursing home for the rest of your life with the battery charging all the while. It could short out and start a fire after a few years.
--
LSMFT