Learning about oil-based paint the hard way

On Sunday, I painted my front door with an oil-based paint. Went great, looks better than expected. Didn't have time to clean the brush, so I put it in a pail of water. Anywho, I went to clean the brush today. Now, I've cleaned latex paint off a brush plenty of times, and it's really easy. But with the oil-based paint, the brush never seemed to come clean. Plus it left paint on my sink (which is ok for this particular sink). Finally decided it wasn't worth the effort, and tossed the brush. Live & learn. :)

I've
But
:)
This post must be for people who buy paint labelled with hundreds of words of information (e.g. about solvents) that they are unwilling to read.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Sometimes it's not even worth it to clean oil paint off a brush. That's why when I have to paint something with oil paint, I usually buy cheap brushes, then when I'm done just throw them away.
Take a deep breath and slowly spell O-I-L.

On Jul 4, 7:55 am, snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

A-L-K-Y-D :-)
And don't take a deep breath indoors over the can!
JK

How did you manage to reach adulthood without learning that oil and water don't mix?

For that matter, how did you manage to reach adulthood without learning to read directions?
Hint #1: the label on that paint can tells you what to use to clean the brush. Hint #2: it ain't water.
--
Regards,

Many years ago, I knew of people that used to put the oil brush in water to preserve it for a day or so if the job was not completed, to avoid cleaning between uses. Tried it once but left it too long and the water dried up and the brush got hard, so I don't know if it was a viable shortcut.

Putting it in paint thinner, or wrapping it in aluminum foil, works much better.
--
Regards,

Based on your fine grasp of writing I am rather surprised that you haven't dabbled in reading. Who knows? You might be good at it. Give it a go on the label on the paint can.

I'm stealing that for use in other groups.
--
--Tim Smith

A prior announcement is an implied request for permission. You may infer that you have received my blessings.

Next time you have to quit before the job is done and want to resue the brush, put the brush in a ziploc bag and put it into the freezer.

This may save the brush, but may also contaminate all the food in the freezer, if any of the solvent escapes from the bag and is transferred to the food. Poly bags are not an absolute seal, even water will transfer through the plastic as vapor, so can solvents.
EXT wrote:

I wrap my paintbrushes - latex or alkyd - in foil and put in freezer overnight when I have to continue a project. There is probably a great deal LESS evaporation of volatile stuff whilst frozen than if I stand it in a can overnight, or even clean it. Foil wraps around the brush very closely, so whatever escapes is likely negligible.