Leaning Post Light

The post light in my yard has started getting loose and leaning. I temporarily stuck some wood stakes in to hold it up but that's clearly not a permanent fix. The metal post goes directly into the ground without a concrete pad. What's my best bet for dealing with this? I poked around and the only info I saw was on how to put in a cylindrical concrete pad with embed bolts. That will involve getting a new post light, which is doable if thats the way the job is "supposed" to be done. Any advice for me on this?

Thanks.

Reply to
post2google

After having a series of wood posts rot out over the years, I got an aluminum one. I simply set it about 18" deep in concrete, having drilled holes in the right places to feed the wiring through. While I was at it, I fitted an outdoor double receptacle on the bottom to feed things like grass string trimmers, and Christmas lights. A morning's work, at most. All the stuff at the "big box" stores like Lowes or Home Depot. They seem to be a standard diameter to fit the light on the top. I held the box on to the post with sheet metal screws and some paste epoxy to keep it from rocking. The post came in black, but I see no reason you couldn't repaint it some other color, assuming you could get some good quality paint that would stick. The "Fusion" paints from Krylon come to mind..

Reply to
professorpaul

So your metal post isnt rusted out but is leaning and a bit loose?

Your in luck the orioginal installer did a excellent job:)

Dig gently around post, straighten and backfill and tamp firmly!

Light poles arent meant to be structural. just self supporting.

If it had been concreted in theres little you can do. too big too heavy too awkard to reset.

just straighten and tamp with foot. problem over.

plus you can move this pole if ever necessary,

concrete forget it.

I was given this advice by the salesman who sold me a light pole over

25 years ago.

that pole is still in use today, has been dug up twice once for sewer work. A1 shape......

Reply to
hallerb

I agree.

Sooner or later you have to replace the lamp post. I'd much rather NOT deal with the block of concrete. I did that once, not again please.

After 2 years, I just straighted my lamp post this morning. Pushed it a little and stepped on the ground next to the post. I figure I might have to do that again in a year or 2.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Tried the dirt tamping method. Took a suprising amount of dirt.So far, it seems to be working nicely. Thanks.

Reply to
post2google

replying to post2google, Bentley wrote: I backed the car into mine so now it is leaning a bit. I don't think it is set in concrete. Do you think digging and tamping is the way to go. I've thought about tying a rope to it and using the car to straighten it up.

Reply to
Bentley

Without more information, who knows? Steel? What gauge? How firm is the soil? How lucky do you feel? You would think once it's pulled over, if it's not set in concrete you could get it back, or most of the way back, by hand. Me, I'd dig it out on the side it needs to go to, then push by hand.

Reply to
trader_4

I was a skeptic, but tried the "Dirt Tamping" method as described. It did take far more dirt than I expected. But, son of a gun, it worked flawlessly. My exterior lamp post is straight as a drum, solid and stable. Just be certain to tamp down the dirt and soil all around the entire pole and tamp down firmly. It truly works!

Reply to
bigtubeguy

To fix our leaning light post I leaned my body weight into it until straight, then partner inserted two solid wood doorstops in gap and hammered them flush into the ground. Worked easily and looks perfect.

Reply to
Lin

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 00:15:05 +0000, Lin posted for all of us to digest...

For how long?

Reply to
Tekkie©

Use a Lug-All hoist to pull it into position, way more precise than using a car.

Reply to
granddad402