leaning fence post

Hope you guys/girls can help me..installed cedar fence with 6x6 corner posts in concrete roughly 30" deep in Dallas, TX. Height is roughly 7'.

It has developed a lean to one side, pulling away from the fence line,and is quite noticeable, perhaps15 degrees or so. The side it is leaning too has about 6" of ground betwenn the concrete and the curb.

This post has no stress on it other than about a 6' length of bamboo fencing, opposite the lean, which weights hardly anything. Rest of fence is fine.

How do I get this post upright without breaking it all apart and starting over? Really would hate that.

Reply to
Chris Carruth

I will venture a guess that you got one with a bad grain, a side cut. Other than taking it out an replacing it I don't think there is much you can do.

When buying the new one examine the ends of the post and try to buy one that is center cut. IE: the rings are about the same forming a bull's-eye.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Is the post leaning? Or is it warping?

If leaning, Put a stake in the ground, loop a rope around the stake and the top of the fence post several times. Stick another stake in the looped rope and tighten the whole thing up. Then give it a few more turns.

Tighten a turn or two every day.

When the post is straight again, strengthen the post's foundation.

Reply to
HeyBub
30" inches is pretty deep, but you could possibly dig down on the opposite side of the lean, and upright it by pushing it, then fill in dirt on the side that it leans on
Reply to
minder

Assuming the post is not bent, I would hazard a guess that there is a problem at the curb. Maybe they left a void when they put the road in. You may need to do some serious digging to find and fix the real problem. It is also possible that a water supple or sewer line has leaked and washed out that area. I hope I am wrong. If I am I would vote for trying the stakes and twisted rope trick, it can work.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Is it possible that a car ran into the post?

Reply to
Nick Hull

Good idea. If that is true, then I would believe that it will be relatively easy to fix since there will not be an underlying problem to correct.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Bingo! We just had Halloween.

I bet, though, if they ran into it, it would have broken. More likely they nudged up against it and PUSHED.

Reply to
HeyBub