leaky water shut-off valve

I turn water off to my sprinker system every fall from the basement. The valve is a handle type that turns 90 degrees to turn water on or off. I now have a slow leak when I shut down the system.
Is there a way to repair the shut-off valve or must I cut it out and replace it?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Where is it leaking? If it is around the handle, it is fixable. The packing needs replaced. Any DIY book will show you some nice photos of how to approach that problem. Buy one, it will pay for itself. On the other hand, I don't know of any way to repair it if it is actually leaking from the supply side to the delivery side.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Your know - Its a bit frustrating when we post good information like this and never hear a peep from the orignial poster. How about a "Thanks - you samed me a lot of headache because this was such a simple fix!" Or even an "no, its not the packing, it keaks out the supply side, I guess I'll have to replace the valve thanks though"
Oh well. I contribute here because I also get something back from time to time. Just last week I looked up a post I did for somone else to pull up some URLs I had researched for somone, it was time I needed my own past research! anyway... Keep up the good work.