leaky valve for icemaker feed tap.

Finally figured out why water was dripping from my new duct run. I put a section of the Sunday paper on top, and there is an ultra-slow drip on the top of the duct, hitting just right to travel along a seam, and around the the joint with the next section, and drip down from the bottom of that like it was from inside the duct.

Apparently, when hanging the duct, they banged into the vampire tap on the water pipe where the feed line to the icemaker comes off. Since they buried the whole thing, I can't actually see it via eyeball, I was looking with my fingertips, and it is ever-so-slightly wet at the tap.

Can these junk screw-in taps be safely tightened or resealed? To keep warranty on the HVAC install, I'll have to have them come drop the duct to get to it. Or should I gently offer to the company that I will pay for the parts for a proper Tee and reducer to be sweated in, if they install it, or hire somebody. (No, their license doesn't cover general plumbing, but for a pissant thing like this, I'm sure their in-house guy can handle it.) Company is already having to eat the cost of patching carpet where they made an oopsie, so they are eager to get rid of me.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

drop the duct patch the pipe and relocate valve to a accesible location. saddle valves work good and they can be tightened but i wouldnt trust that where you cant reach it. someday the line might burst and you will need fast access

Reply to
hallerb

Especially, for other readers of this thread, if someone uses polypropylene and not copper.

Reply to
mm

Copper lines can CRACK if bent shapely which can occur pushing a fridge back....

Reply to
hallerb

So what would one use? The plastic provided cracks too if bent sharply, not rigtht away but later, when one is not even home.

I was at a party once, in the basement, when someone's fridge upstairs sprang a leak. We noticed it when it dripped on the floor.

Reply to
mm