Leaky radiator connection

I had to move a steam radiator in order to paint the room. Now it leaks at the connection point to the radiator valve. I've tried cranking it tight, but some water still comes through.

I plan to take the radiator off again to reposition the radiator a bit closer to the valve. Other than that, should I try teflon tape? How about pipe dope?

John

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

Hey John - from a similar experiance teflon tape works. 4-5 wraps. Just a hint - on the other rooms I bought some thin drywall - cut it to the shape of the radiator and painted it the room color then slid it in behind. Can't even notice it.

Reply to
robson

pipe dope then teflon tape work.

Reply to
ransley

If you plan on painting other rooms, it might be worth the investment in a 'slim jim' roller. They're thinner and have longer handles so they can paint behind a radiator without removing it. Unless the wall behind the radiator is toast it's the way to go.

RicodJour

Hint: That is why they make that stuff.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski