Leaky Plumbing Under Kitchen Sink

Seeking advice on following situation. I have a plastic u-tube connecting the downspout of my kitchen sink, to the next pipe in the sequence.
I have replaced the gasket and applied TFE Paste to the male part of the tubing that screws in to the female connector, tightened it as tight as I dare, and yet it still leaks.
Any advice?
Much obliged in advance, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

is the problem. Hand tighten snug. All connections at once...bit on this one, bit on that one, bit more on the ones you already did. If it drips, tighten a fraction more. You can always make it tighter if you put it too lose in the first place. Once you overtighten, it leaks because the ring seal is damaged. Loosening it does no good.
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:50:04 -0500, "John Smith"

I've found that when I have a leaky connection, I was going cheap with the tape.
Just thinking out loud...
tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com

If your trap and piping is plastic and is still leaking, you re using the wrong gasket or have it in backwards..it should be a tapered plastic ring (the color of a milk jug) the narrow edge pointing "downstream" . Its made to work by turning the coupling HAND TIGHT, without ANY teflon tape or paste. If your "next pipe in sequence" is metal, it would probably be easier to replace the whole leaking metal set up with plastic than to chase the leak around . Make note of exactly what you have at the wall, maybe even take a digital pic of it and go see yer plumbing guy at Lowes or Home depot. The parts should be under $ 5.00
Sloppy Fix Alert:
They make a 2 part putty for PVC pipe. You mix it together and press it into the leaky joint. Once it hardens, it seals the leak.
I'll admit that I tried it as a "temporary" fix on the seam of a PVC trap about a year ago - it worked so well I have yet to replace the trap!
John Smith wrote:

Self admittedly, I suck at getting them right the first time. Especially when like under a sink where you ahve two sinks and a disposer. Lotta joints.
We often look for ways to Band-Aid what we didn't do right in the first place. I've used dabs of silicone for pin drips. I mean heck, roofing cement works great for a super hack job.
Al Bundy wrote:

These connections are typically the slip nut type with a gasket to seal. Pipe tape, dope, silcone, etc are not required. And IMO, trying to use silicone to stop where it's leaking is at best a temporary fix, as the joint is not made up right and is likely to start leaking again before long, especially is some bumps some thing against it. If the joint is properly aligned and tightened, it won't leak.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in

I know.

I know

I know

For MINOR pin drips it works fine. Stood the test to time.

I know.
In summary I reiterate:
    >> Self admittedly, I suck at getting them right the first time.

I had the same problem a couple years ago and just replaced everything. It was less than $10 and doesn't leak. Unless you have absolutely nothing better to do, that is a bargain.